• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering pop noise

rickolis22

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 xj. i get a loud popping noise only when i turn the steering wheel to the left. it does it at the same spot when i turn the wheel. i searched and found lots of people who had to tighten thier track bar to get rid of thier pop. i jacked up the front end and couldn't find anything loose. the popping noise comes and goes but when it happens its always in the same spot when i turn the wheel to the left. any ideas or suggestions? thanks guys

check for any cracks in the frame under the steering box, and any broken bolts or washer were it's mounted. i had the same problem with my old 94xj.

It is more then likely the track bar and the frame end is going bad. It is a very common problem.

Have someone else turn the wheel while you are under, don't just look for movement feel for it. A pop can be 1/32" which is extremely difficult to see. Look/feel everything connected to your axle and steering, tie rod ends, track bar & mount, steering box, ball joints, pitman arm, ect...

XJ&TJ4ME said:
It is more then likely the track bar and the frame end is going bad. It is a very common problem.
This was exactly my problem, I've been having this problem for a while, and I had my old mechanic look at it, thought it was the steering box for a while, but I had my bro start turning, and I noticed how much that frame mount moved.

I would definitely look here.

This may be a stupid question. But did you tighten the track bar bracket bolts? You wont be able to feel/see them loose with your hands/eyes, but if you take a wrench to them they will probably be loose. That was where my popping came from at least.

ZJeepX said:
This may be a stupid question. But did you tighten the track bar bracket bolts? You wont be able to feel/see them loose with your hands/eyes, but if you take a wrench to them they will probably be loose. That was where my popping came from at least.
That just paid for my renewal. Damn that was easy!
:gag:

outlander said:
Look at your steering shaft aswell,that is the source of my steering pop....

What did you do to fix it? Is the steering shaft replacable? I was thinking it was part of the steering column.

xj_mike said:
What did you do to fix it? Is the steering shaft replacable? I was thinking it was part of the steering column.
The steering shaft is replaceable. There's a clamp at the column end, fairly near the firewall, and of course the clamp at the steering gear end as well. Columns changed in (I think) 97, and do not interchange (the hole in the top is a different size). The original type does not telescope without damage, and you need to loosen the steering gear to replace it. The later models appear to telescope easily, making them much easier to replace. The top end is just a flatted shaft fitting into a corresponding hole in the steering shaft. The bottom end is splined. Both ends are designed to go in only one way.

You should look carefully at both ends. There's a rubber cushioned "rag joint" (not really a rag joint if you want to get technical, but close enough) at the top, which can get loose. At the bottom, the universal joint can wear. Sometimes there will be end play in the cross, allowing it to rattle side to side, which may not cause steering looseness right away, but can make a noise. You should also make very sure that the bolts that clamp the shaft to the steering gear and the steering column are good and tight. A little looseness there is not only dangerous, but it will cause lost motion and sloppy steering.

Back