• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Cluster Help

.40CalPatriot

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so a while back my oil pressure guage totally took a dump and is always down as far right as it can go. Didnt think much of it, and just moved on with everyday driving. Then a few weeks ago, I replaced my thermostat, and ever since then I do not get a reading on my temp. gauge at all. The only thing I get is once in a while it jumps around for a few seconds then goes back down to nothing. I thought great two down only two more to go. So then this last weekend I had to drop my fuel tank, in the process of putting the tank back up the ground wire broke. I had diffuculties soldering the wire back on to the original location on the tank so I just grounded it to the frame. Ever since that day if I am sitting a a stop light or I have to slam on my brakes to stop my fuel gauge jumps up to 3/4s to a full tank, when I know it has less than a 1/2 a tank. But then when I take off from a dead stop it goes back to where it belongs. Please help! Anyone else have this problem before. It seems like I am just going to have to replace the whole cluster.

It might not be the cluster.... Some gauges/sensors can only have a certian amount of resistance in the wires to and from them.... So when you grounded the tank, you might have created "high resistance" in the line which will make the gauge read incorrectly, also by applying the brakes, you might be making a more direct path to ground by going through the brake light ground which will also cause an inaccurae reading as well..... This goes for the temp and oil gauges as well, check all grounds and find factory specs for resistance in those circuts...

Just my $0.02..

Ex-Out

Back