• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where do i start?

pimpgixxer04

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well i've had my 93 xj for a while now (about 3 years) and now im looking to start modifying my xj...but where do i start... i would like to lift it and put some nice tires on it...heres some pics of my jeep what would you suggest..thanks

bike019-1.jpg

Zoo157.jpg

i dont know...yes i would love to wheel it, but i just moved to wichita ks, recently and dont know where i can do so and not sure of the terrain...i would like to go on some scenic rides and such like on trails and things like that...but im not real sure...sorry i know its veg..

Well I imagine you'll still want it to be streetable. But your first mods shouldn't necessarly be the "coolest" ones.

First mod should definitely be tow points front and rear. I assume you have a rear hitch(if it's not class 3, get a class 3 one, and don't EVER pull from a towing ball), and buy one of these for rear recovery, and you can pick up some OEM tow hooks for the front(from the junkyard), or some from C4x4 or Rusty's Offroad. Then go pick yourself up a nice tow strap from your local 4 wheel drive shop or order one from an online company, but remember to get one no hooks on it, only a loop on each end, the hooks end up being projectiles.

Once you get the tow points taken care of, getting a transfer case skid and gas tank skid would be a good idea. Those are crucial parts and should definitely be protected.

Then, it's safe to move toward lifting your Jeep. Rubicon Express is a very reputable and high quality company to order a reasonable lift from, 3.5" full kit is a good choice to go with, but will sit probably around 5" for a while. You'll need to get a kit that have adjustable control arms if you're going 3"+. You could get a budget boost(<2" lift) and not really have to change anything other than tires. Just search here and you'll find more info on BB's.

For tires, you'll need something that is fitting to what you do. BFG All-terrains are a safe bet for decent offroad use and just fine on road use, but that really depends on your uses for your Jeep. I run Interco TrXus M/T's on my DD/trail rig, and I love them. The size will depend on the amount of lift you end up with and if you're willing to cut fenders.

And as for your local wheeling, check here for your local forum: http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Also maybe run a google search for kansas 4 wheel drive clubs or kansas 4x4.

Good luck and you'll learn alot if you sift through the Modified Tech Discussion section of this site.

Last edited:
ok so i decided im going with the RE 5.5" lift, but dont know what size tires and or what brand tires...any help would be awesome...im not getting this for a while...not till i get all the tow stuff/skids outta the way...

pimpgixxer04 said:
ok so i decided im going with the RE 5.5" lift, but dont know what size tires and or what brand tires...any help would be awesome...im not getting this for a while...not till i get all the tow stuff/skids outta the way...

thats a big starting point.

big lift needs big tires and deep gears.

I'm looking at the same process, got the hitch and recovery points taken care of. Winch comes next, then skid plates and limited slips/lockers.

What kind of wobble? Just a shimmy at 55 or full on shakes after 45. After you hit a bump? When turning? Straight ahead? At what speed?

If just a shimmy at 55 - balance tires

More involved?

Also - just my opinion - but 5.5" involves all kinds of other things:
Trac Bar
Control Arms
SYE
Gearing
Etc. etc. etc.
Can get expensive pretty fast. Unless you're going for all out wheeling/climbing I'd still go with the 3.5". If you just want a chick magnet, stick with 3.5".

ya i plan on taking a loan out for about 10k to totally overhaul the beast.... stroker kit, lift, wheels, tires, and paint...should cover it...maybe..if not i'll get more..haha...but on a more serious note, the wobble usually happens at about 40-55 its a pretty bad shake most of the time, makes my driver side door shake like crazy...im replacing the trac bar tomorrow and im getting a alignment this weekend...so hopefully that'll help. If not then i'll balance my tires too.

Im running a 3.5 re kit with a 1 inch shackle, cut fenders, 32's, open,open. I went to moab with a group and we took that thing more places than i ever would have thought it would go.

Back