• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam or Crank sensor?

hideyoshi

NAXJA Forum User
I put new Nology plugs, wires, and coil on my 99 4.0 XJ and had a problem. After the install I went on a test drive, The thing ran great for about a 1/4 mile then the engine cut out. It turned over and started right up so I went back home to check it out. After looking under the hood for bad grounds or loose wires my search came up empty. I figured the best thing to do would be to put the stock coil back on In case the Nology coil was just to big for the motor. With the stock coil it started right up and drove fine... untill I took it on the freeway and it cut out while I was doing about 70mhp. I took it home and went through the electrical system with a multi-meter and found that my Cam sensor might be bad. All fuses are good, fuel pressure and pump work fine. While doing a KOCE test I get no spark from the coil, Could a Cam sensor cause this or would no spark mean a bad CPS? Any Help would be great.

lawsoncl said:
The crank position sensor is a more common failure.
True. Check the wiring going to the sensor. The wire insulation can burn if it gets too close to the exhaust manifold.

Kyung

Thanks guys, I replaced the CPS and I got nospark so I guess the Cam Sensor is the cause. I will replace that later this week and see what happens. Thanks again

Depends on the year, the renix will run without a cam sensor, not at it's best but it will run. The only time the CKP is used for is at startup, the signal from it along with the CPS is used to calculate where number one cylinder is.
After that it's ignored and not used.

I see now you have a 99 you would throw a code for a bad sensor so pull the codes before you spend money on anything.

My guess it if the problem only started after you did the tuneup one or more of the parts were bad, put your old coil wire back in first if you don't have and codes.

I put the old coil on after the first time it cut out. It ran great for a day or two untill it cut out on the freeway. the motor has 110K on the clock so hopefully it was a coinsidance and it's just the sensors am going to replace. I'm still waiting on the Cam sensor and then I will know for sure. (BTW, the tip from another forum about notching out the holes for easy replacement of the Crank sensor was great and made install very painless.) Langer1, I tried to pull a bad code and nothing showed. But I was able to use a Snap-On Vantage Pro component tester and the Cam Sensor seems to be the culprate. Thanks for the help.

I said Coil wire, a bad coil wire will not throw a code but a bad CKP or CPS sure will. Loss of fuel pressure won't throw a code either.
Let us know what you find.

Well turns out it was a bad ECU. I went to a salvage yard today and got a used ECU to see if it was in fact the problem. After I put it in the engine turned over and idled fine. I threw a code and hooked up my Scanner to find that the ECU they sold me had the same Part # but it was for a 1998 4.0. Correct me if I'm wrong but 1999 is when the power-tec motor came standard and could be diffrent than the 98? so if anyone needs or wants and extra ECU for a 1998 I have one, I paid 100 but I'll take a resonable offer since it's no use to me.

Back