• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternative to OEM thermostat

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
The last 2 OEM thermostats I bought went into stuck open mode within a few months. I am ready to try another brand. In searching, I have seen Robertshaw and super stant mentioned. Which one do I want, and what part number for a 195F t-stat? I don't trust the counter folks at chain parts stores any more, to give me the right t-stat. No offense to anyone on here.

1989 4.0L Renix

Maz said:
The last 2 OEM thermostats I bought went into stuck open mode within a few months. I am ready to try another brand. In searching, I have seen Robertshaw and super stant mentioned. Which one do I want, and what part number for a 195F t-stat? I don't trust the counter folks at chain parts stores any more, to give me the right t-stat. No offense to anyone on here.

1989 4.0L Renix

"Stuck Open" is better than "stuck shut." Four out of the five RENIX rigs I've had have worked well with Stant thermostats in the 180* flavour, but I can't recall the number offhand.

What makes you think they went to "stuck open," and why? Just curious - I'd like to make sure we're addressing the proper problem before I give any more advice...

ive got a stant superstat 195, and its been reliable.

its very heavily built, which helps it resist opening too soon,

it does make the jeep run about 215 on the guage. But thats from the stupid sender from Standard Motor products not being calibrated.

PN #45359

5-90 said:
What makes you think they went to "stuck open," and why? Just curious - I'd like to make sure we're addressing the proper problem before I give any more advice...
Running too cold, at 150-160 most of the time. It'll climb up to 200 when I am in stop and go condition, because I have a cracked manifold. Even in stop and go and warm ambient temps, once I put the vent on defrost or A/C, to get the e-fan going, it'll quickly go down to about 180.

I have newer radiator, water pump, hoses with less than 5K miles on them.

BTW, one piece of info I forgot, the temp gauge does not show any cycling (i.e., opening / closing). The temp rises slowly.

Interesting. I say so because most typical thermostats (in the last 30 years or so, anyhow...) "fail closed" and keep coolant from cycling through the system - resulting in a "steam void" behind the thing. Stant came up with their "Fail Safe" idea to "fail open" - which was far too long in coming, y'ask me.

Have you inspected the thermostat after replacing it? I'd like to think something got wedge in the popped, but I can't see what would be floating around in your cooling system big enough to cause that sort of trouble...

5-90 said:
Have you inspected the thermostat after replacing it? I'd like to think something got wedge in the popped, but I can't see what would be floating around in your cooling system big enough to cause that sort of trouble...

No I haven't. But the next time, I'll snap a picture.

Back