• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton OK April 12-13

Okay, it's just me this weekend.

What time do you plan on showing up, JR? I know the novice group is leaving at 8:30 AM, but is the plan for everyone to leave then?

So, I got to check out Clayton this weekend. It was a blast! Here's a link to the LSJC post with all the photos from the event, including mine.

Jim Parker Memorial Run - Photos

What I learned is that Clayton is like the wild west compared to the parks that I'm used to. While Superlift and Barnwell Mountain are well maintained parks with on-site management and well marked and mapped trails, Clayton (officially, we were at Green Acres) has a mailbox where you drop your $20 as you drive by. The trails are marked, for the most part, but it is NOT clear what difficulties you're getting into. They also cross into different private properties and part of your time is spent on a county-owned road (that is probably a 3 - 4 trail on its own). It doesn't help that the town is about 800 strong and apparently a hotbed of Meth-labs and weed-farmers. Basically, Its a great place to go play, but I suggest that at least for the first few trips there that you have an experienced guide who knows the area. FWIW, I ran with the Novice group this go-round to get a lay of the land. I was easily able to handle everything that got thrown at us, even though water levels were very high and the trails were washed out pretty badly due to the rain that area has gotten.

Back