• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem ?

BubaXj89

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 Xj is not starting it is a manual trans

so this is what happened I was sitting out side in my jeep right out side my house everything was fine and then the engine just turned off so I tried starting it and it just keeps cranking like it wants to start but it just wont it just keeps cranking so I was thinking it maybe the starter ?
anyone have any suggestions ?

Am i understanding that when you energise the starter (turn the key to start) the engine turns over? and you assume a bad starter? am i missing something?
if the engine is turning over, it's time to look at the other avenues... fuel and spark, man.
you can check spark (carefully!!!) by removing a spark wire from a plug, and getting a "friend" to crank it and see if the spark will jump from an inserted screw driver to a half inch away bolt on the motor/chassis. it hurts like hell when you get a shock from the ignition system (50,000 volts) so be careful. there is a professional version of this. my tool box has 2 spark testers, that hook up to the plug wire and flash when they get a signal (just a bulb, basically) and a jump tester that keeps hands out of the way. both are great tools to have, really.
as for fuel, pop the pressure line and see if you get an unleaded shower...

i would try everyhting stated in the post above me but only after checking your fuses, one in particular it in the under the hood fuse panel it's a 30 amp fuse that's for the automatic shut down relay i have a friend that had his go 2 seperate times on him already on etime was right after being stuck in the mud and reving very high to eventully get it unstuck and as soon as we got back to the road it died it took us several hours of checkign fuel presure, spark, and tons of electrical problem(found out his blinkers didn't work in the rear)
with this fuse gone it didn't have sprak or fuel presure but that was on a 95 i'm not to sure ho wur 89 would respond

I don't think there is a PDC in an Renix 89. Not one in my 90. There is a "relay center". No fuses under the hood.

Like so:

I'm not absolutely sure but I think you should look at the red relay (it's red here, not in the Jeep). Swap it with a good relay (not the fuel pump relay) and see if it works, then tell us.

2426393_11_full.gif

so what if that "red" relay is clicking constantly?

the fuel pump wont prime unless it stops clicking.

so far the only way to get it to stop clicking is to wiggle the larger of the two plugs going into the ignition module.

we tried a different ignition module and it did the same thing.

this is after an engine swap.

pulled the engine out of the running jeep. freshened it up. put it back in. now all it does is click. some times it will fire but only if you are holding your mouth right...

Okay ya I found the problem

It was the spark relay or the ignition control module I thought the coil was bad but it was not so we changed the spark relay or the Ignition control module. It was cracked at the bottom so we got it fixed and she is up and running again. While I was at it I took the time to spray some silicon on the distributor cap so no water will get into it.

Its always a good idea to check fuses. I often skip it, though, because i'm sometimes not so bright. I like to start at the end, and work backward. Hence, the first post. If theres spark, then go to fuel. If theres fuel, then go to spark. if you have both, and still it don't run, go to the scrap yard.
I've found that i can diagnose a no-start problem much faster by eleminating than by checking fuses. just me. all good recomendations, and i'm glad you got your rig back running.

yup so em I but I have another set back I was going through a mud pit sunday and some how I broke the saddle bracket not the yoke part but the little bracket thing that holds the u joint in place but that is an essay fix

Bubba, I'm having the exact problem but don't know where is the Spark Relay you are talking about, can you tell me where it is located? I have swapped the Ignition control module, but do not know where the Spark relay is at.
Help--------------------

Ok, It is an 88 wagoneer limited. so i bought a brand new ignition control module, Coil, distributer Cap and rotor, Cables, and Spark plugs and there is still no spark comming out of the coil. it just turns but does not start. all the Relays on the relay center are good.

sal_turbo said:
Ok, It is an 88 wagoneer limited. so i bought a brand new ignition control module, Coil, distributer Cap and rotor, Cables, and Spark plugs and there is still no spark comming out of the coil. it just turns but does not start. all the Relays on the relay center are good.

did you test the cps?

also, disconnect the cps wiring harness, clean the harness with electrical contact cleaner and reconnect.

Back