• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder 3 Misfire on an '01

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
'01 4.0 89k

Doing errands today, after stopping at the grocery store for about 20 mins i crank my jeep up and get a really rough idle (and of course a CEL) for about 10 seconds and then it runs just peachy.....never had this problem before

Had Advance check the light and clear it for me

Now, i've done the research.....and this is weird because i actually have the TSB for the intake shield already installed, plugs are stock-spec Champions 30k old

I want to avoid this again, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

garr said:
Here is the TSB about your problem, It is caused by the fuel vaporizing in #3 cyl injector. The problem is worse when there is alcohol mixed in the fuel (Like it is in most areas during winter)
there is a very easy fix.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf
#5 can give you problems as well. Same solution.

very nice, thanks guys

would it be worth it to put the sleeves on all injectors?

also, how could i check for a bad coil pack?? voltmeter i assume? I kinda ruled that out since this was the typical heatsoak scenario....

Fred85 said:
very nice, thanks guys

would it be worth it to put the sleeves on all injectors?

also, how could i check for a bad coil pack?? voltmeter i assume? I kinda ruled that out since this was the typical heatsoak scenario....

I did 3-4-5, The kit is cheap enough ( Like $3.95) & Its cheap insurance for your XJ.
You can purchase the kit online http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid
Just enter Part # 56028371AA & don't forget to select Jeep as the make!

Last edited:
alright i did the TSB and put the sleeves on injectors 3 and 4

it definitely did not fix the misfire

HELP! i'm close to just taking it to the dealership

Try switching to NGK spark plugs
other things I would try are:
moving injectors around to see if the problem follows the injector
make sure injector wiring harness is not shorting out anywhere
Check compression ...01 heads with the 0331 casting are known for cracking near Cyl 3
seafoam the motor...carbon buildup can cause misfire and pinging
swap out the coil rail..

is swapping injectors just as simple as switching them, or is there some other precaution or step that needs to be taken?

i guess i'll change spark plugs and swap the 3 and 4 injectors, first....

if that doesn't help, i'll probably take it to the stealership

the cylinder head crack seems unlikely to me, since i've never overheated it, this problem just started on a random 75degree day, and the coolant level stays consistent........

but all help is appreciated

I had the same issue with mine (a week ago was last time). I switched to the Champion truck plug and the Jeep is now running A LOT smoother with no misfires but I also gained 2 MPG. Note that the plugs were less then a year old with maybe 3000 miles on them at the most, but they were platinum plugs which I have read is a big no no on the XJ.

[edit] BTW it has just under 100,000 miles on it.[/edit]

Back