• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny swap - NNS issue

DaveW

NAXJA Forum User
This is a bit long so it is hopefully clear what I have done and where I need help.

What I Have Done:
I'm swapping from a manual to an auto tranny.
My XJ is an 89 with manual tranny. I have a donor 90 with the auto.
I have swapped the engine wiring harness out of my donor into mine.

I have 4 connectors not plugged in:
1 - the TCU
2 & 3 - The 2 connectors to the tranny/xcase (still a manual tranny with a single and different connector)
4 - One connector under the dash which I believe is for the brake light. (3 pin only 1 wire for the manual/6 pin for the auto w/ cruise)
Will any of these unplugged prevent the motor from starting? (see below)

Where I need Help:
I would like to verify the harness works and start the motor before proceeding with the swap of the tranny.

At this point I have power to the dash an other lights. When I turn the key the starter will not turn and no clicking. I think it is the fact that the NSS is not connected. If you know of another issue from one of the other unplugged connector please post up.

Yes, I know this is not normally safe but remember there is no NSS in this jeep just yet.
I would like to jumper the connections on currently unplugged tranny connector so it thinks the tranny is in park (as it is, just in another jeep).

If anyone knows which pins/wires to jumper/ground/power to indicate the tranny is in park could they send/post the info.
As this could be a safety issue, you can PM me the info if you do not want to post.

Last edited:
I was finally able to find info on the NNS connector on the following web sight.

http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm

There was also another idea to by pass it by setting up a momentary switch like a remote starter.

CYA time:
Use any of this info at your own risk.
This information is only for use to verify a motor runs after replacing wiring harness before the tranny (and NSS) are installed. You should never drive the vehicle with the NNS or wiring bypassed or altered in any manner.:moon:

Back