• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bigger tires ?

BubaXj89

NAXJA Forum User
If I was to get 31s on my stock manual trans 89 jeep cherokee do I have to re-gear the rear and front axle ?

the gear ratio I have now is 3.07

I know before I put 31s on I know I have to put a 3.5 inch lift on it but I want to know if I'm going to have to re-gear

no, you dont NEED to regear but you may WANT to. you can run 35" tires with stock gearing.

on my 89 with 5speed and 31's, i did not like the on road performance. off road was fine because you can use 4lo. on road, 1st gear was like starting in 2nd and all the other gears were underpowered unless you really whind out the gears. 5th gear was useless if going up any kind of incline. it was fine one flat surfaces, but any kind of hill put too much of a load on the engine and i had to downshift.

i drove with stock gearing for about a year until i regeared to 4.10 and couldnt be happier.

im running a 97' with 3.07's and 31's and i love it..it is a little underpowered starting off..but idk i'm used to it now. I'll eventually go to 4.10's but i won't waste the money on a dana35. I guess i'm just biding my time! =D

ya I was thinking about just getting a dana 44 with 4.10s in it but I guess since I have heard that everyone is doing fine then I guess I will get the dana some time

Back