• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gremlins in my automatic transmission

Olympia

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85 xj 2.8 v-6, with, I'm pretty sure, the Chrysler 904. So heres the scoop. When I'm driving the transmission will gear up and down like its trying to find the right gear, after the jeep is warmed up then it levels out a little bit, and is a little better. But when I am driving it around it will go up and down on its own. Like if I'm coming to a stop it will kick down to a low gear like I was driving and It will almost stall but then it will come out of it. I am thinking its my torque converter, I did a search and didn't come up with anything, so any help would be great, thanks.

you know what, i got the same jeep,was doing the same thing.not really a fix, but if i let it warm up about 10 mins,it will not do this at all.might help ya a bit if no one replies...

http://www.gremlinbells.com/

personally, I'd change the fluid a couple times to get rid of any old/burnt fluid and add a can of Trans-X with the last flush. It'll help clean the valve body of any varnish builup and loosen any sticking check balls which can cause your problems.

As for the gremlin bell, couldn't hurt, right?

Make sure the TV rod is attached and adjusted correctly. Torqueflights don't like being run without a TV rod. The TV rod adjusts the line pressure, which adjusts your shift points. If it is not attached or is adjusted incorrectly, your transmission will act strange.

Change the filter and fluid. Switch to Type "F" Fluid.

If the problem continues, remove and clean the valve body. Be darn sure not to loose any check balls! This body governs the shifting of the transmission.

Lastly, while you are under there, perform the band adjustments.

GL!

I had a similar problem on my little 2.8L and it was the throttle position cable sticking. She would rev WAY up before gearing down but was normal when she was hot. Nothing like doing 30kph @ 3700RPM. I just gave the cable a bit of lube and it went away...

If I do warm her up for a little bit she acts alot better and doesn't fluxuate as much. What i'll do is:

1)Flush the fluid a couple of times and add the Trans-x

2)If problem still persists, check my TV rod, and if I have to clean the valve body.

Auto trannys scare me....

Zuki-Ron said:
Make sure the TV rod is attached and adjusted correctly. Torqueflights don't like being run without a TV rod. The TV rod adjusts the line pressure, which adjusts your shift points. If it is not attached or is adjusted incorrectly, your transmission will act strange.
Zuki-Ron said:

Change the filter and fluid. Switch to Type "F" Fluid.

If the problem continues, remove and clean the valve body. Be darn sure not to loose any check balls! This body governs the shifting of the transmission.

Lastly, while you are under there, perform the band adjustments.

GL!

Is the TV Rod something that can be looked at and adjusted without having to drop the tranny?

Back