• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pull and smoke from passenger side

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just did my from axle swap for a non vaccum 30 and everything in the brakes seemed fine so I just swapped it completely over. Did all my suspen sion stuff and steering went to get a crossmember welded and an alignment and all was well. A couple miles down the road my jeep starting pulling hard to the right and then when I brake hard to the left . Drove it home and looked underneath and smoke was billowing out from passenger rotor area. Cant really pinpoint where smoke is coming from but the metal brake shield or cover was damn near on fire hence the burn on the hand. Any ideas where i should start looking?

I too vote seized caliper, happened to my 88 MJ after an axle swap, that sucked! Luckily, I was very close to home.

dont think its a collapsed hose because i just stainless steel brake lines but then again i could be wrong. Im thinkin its a caliper

does this mean time for new caliper or is it a fixable problem?

i just fixed the same problem, a caliper rebuild kit is only 20 or so bucks

Had the same thing happen in January on the right side and then the left went out in February. Both were seized calipers. $22. a piece and a $40 core charge each at Napa. 10 minutes per side and you have new calipers. Just don't forget to return the broken ones and get your deposit back.
Not worth the effort of rebuilding them yourself when they are so cheap to replace.

just replaced it, problem solved, took for drive smelt brakes again but i think that is brake fluid i spilt pulling of brake line burning off. 22 bucks just like ya said!

That brake smoke smell stayed with me for about a day or so. Not pleasant. Glad it was that easy.

Back