• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont Run unless i hold the key....

Slotz_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my jeep just started this problem 2 min after wheelin' it wont stay running unless i hold the key to the start position,anybody have an idea what the issue with my XJ is??please help first time jeep owner and have no knowledge of them

Switch at bottom of steering column could have moved... Check it first to see...Mine is on the right side i think... What year, that could help

Ignition switch. Right hand side of column at the bottom.

Ok, on the column about 6 or 8" from the floor... That is the ignition switch, i had to buy a book to get mine fixed... The darn thing isn't that hard to fix, just hard to see till you do one.... Have someone turn your key on while you look for the rod that moves, turn it on an off...Right next to the brake pedal

look on the inner fender by the airfilter box .. there's a ceramic ballast resistor for the fuel pump .. when you crank the fuel pump gets full voltage from a relay by the battery, when you let go of the key power to the fuel pump runs through the ballast resistor .. your ballast resistor is nuked

nope his ignition switch is bad....Had the same problem with my 89,had to hold the key all the way home and try to shift gears!!!

if it was the ballast resistor it wouldn't run at all,they either work or they don't.Ballast resistors rarely fail,if they do its usually due to the ceramic deteroriating and falling apart.

Last edited:
mr outlander, sir with all due respect etc etc .. if you would kindly take the time to reread my post you would hopefully notice i said that when the key is in the start position the ballast resistor is bypassed by a relay beside the battery providing the fuel pump with full available battery voltage in it's time of need

it is possible to start the vehicle with the ballast resistor completely disconnected from the vehicle, locked in a iron chest and thrown into the depths of the ocean under guard of a giant killer octopus; however when the key returns to the run position and the relay ceases to provide the fuel pump with voltage the fuel pump's electrical circuit will not be complete because the ballast is missing

i grant you that there is a distinct possibility that the key switch could be completely worn out in a vehicle of that vintage; however this is the season of warm wet spells followed by freezing and ensuing corrosion, to me sir, the thinking man would wager it was the ballast resistor

a simple test would be to disconnect the ballast resistor and jump across the two ends of the wiring harness .. if the vehicle starts and runs then the ballast resistor must be replaced .. if this is not the problem then by all means look to the ignition switch

:canada:

Last edited:
Hehehehe..... You're wrong ya hoser!!!! :laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh:

Last edited:
If you're holding the switch in the "start" position, how are you keeping the starter from running? I'm assuming the switch /lock cylinder is 'kinda between start and run' to get it to run. If this is the case, I'd lean toward the ignition switch as well, but definitely bypass the resistor long enough to rule it out frist!!

anthony said:
mr outlander, sir with all due respect etc etc .. if you would kindly take the time to reread my post you would hopefully notice i said that when the key is in the start position the ballast resistor is bypassed by a relay beside the battery providing the fuel pump with full available battery voltage in it's time of need

it is possible to start the vehicle with the ballast resistor completely disconnected.
(end quote)

True....ya got me there.We'll see what the final verdict is before I admit that I'm wrong about the ignition switch being bad/mis-adjusted.If you're right I'll give you a big one of these:cheers:

crystalship1:Hoser??Thats a new one....

outlander said:
crystalship1:Hoser??Thats a new one....

It's a Canadian thing!!! :D

You can't see the ignition switch from under the dash. You need to remove the lower part of the dash trim and unbolt steering column and lower it. Then you can see it.

I just pulled my fuel pump relay out of curiosity and it produces your symptoms(of only running with the key in crank position, dies when you release).

Try a new fuel pump relay before you rip apart the dash. While you have the fuel pump relay removed, run a voltage check from socket 30(check your relay for the pin numbers) to the + Battery. It should be 12 volts or higher. If it is not, test your fusable links(which are all off the starter relay next to the battery).

Make sure the contacts of the relay and the relay socket are clean.

Good luck.

ok did the brand new ballast thingy didnt work,new fuel pump relay didnt work,know im trying to figure out what im supposed to do with ignition switch can some one tell me what exacttlly in supposed to do to fix my issue?

Back