• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulls hard to the left in 4-wheel drive

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 XJ and I had to remove my rear drive shaft to have some work done on it, but still needed to drive my Jeep around while I wait to get it back. So I am driving with front wheel drive, and just driving down the road with a stead gas pedal, the jeep is pulling really hard to the left, so I have to have the wheel cranked to the right to be able to go down the road straight. Then as soon as I left off the gas, the steering wheel will center itself again.

Here's what I have: stock tires with a lockright locker in the front. I am going to guess that it might have something to do with having the locker, but am not for sure what would be causing the pulling. The tires have equal tire pressuer too, FYI. If it were just a minor pull I wouldn't bother, but this is a very hard pull that is kind of scary to drive with in its current condition. It happens at all speeds, fast or slow. Any ideas?

Its the locker!

You drive around on the street in front wheel drive with a locked front axle... What exactly, do you expect? Have you ever used 4wd before this?

It's callled torque steer. The right side axle is twisting more than the driver side. So power gets to your driver side tire first cause it twists less.

Torque steer! That's what it is. I knew there was a name for it but couldn't figure it out. Thank you.

Theres a guy I go to school with that has been driving his YJ like that since I've known him... for about a year now... I don't see how he does it.

For anyone in the future that might have this problem, I figured out what was causing it to pull so hard to the left. I guess that one of my front tires was a different type of tire than the other 3, and they were not exactly the same size. So the size difference is what was causing it to pull so hard going down the road. Wasn't until I put on new tires that I realized what it was!

that'll make it worse!! Still, if you're driving on the road with the rear driveshaft removed and a front locker....it's kinda scary, especially when the road gets windy!

Back