• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i buy this jeep?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
right now I have an 88' xj Laredo. 4.0 RENIX 5speed. 450,000km's, it has the BA-10/5 tranny and the NP231 command-trac transfer case. Dana30 disconnect in the front and dana 35 in the rear. i don't know what gears it would have, maybe 3.07? anyways i've lifted it 3 inches and put 31" bfg a/t's on it and have had enough of the headaches with idle problems and getting like 15mpg on the highway. my buddy said he would sell me his jeep. its a 91' xj Limited. 4.0 H.O. with the AW-4 tranny and the NP242 Selec-track transfer case. i don't know what axles it would have but it does have the factory LSD. the body is mint and rust free unlike mine. what i was wondering is, what would you do? i could just switch over my suspension and tires, but i do kinda like the 5-speed(even though i've heard that its the worst transmission ever) and also i want to put a SYE in the new one, will that be good with that transfer case?

After reading alot of threads on this forum i would suggest dropping the 5-speed for the aw-4 tranny. If your buddy lets you check the floor under the carpet before you buy. You may find all the rest that is seen on the body. I am still fighting rust in the floor pan... older jeeps are notorious for rusted floorpans... but one thing is for sure you cant buy a jeep without a price. What is he asking?

My 5-speed '94 has 150k on it with the original clutch.

yeah, i think i will buy it. its just that i've put so much into my 88' over the last two years. not just money but lots of time. is the H.O. motor better than the RENIX? not just power wise but reliability and stuff?

probabally a 30/35 combo

i have an 88 ltd and thats what it has, my old 90 ltd. had the same set up.

one advantage is if it has ABS it will have the bigger 297 u-joints in the front axles. ( i believe)

Sounds like a good deal. I would definatly take the AW4 over the BA trans any day. I had the French made BA in my 88 wrangler and what a piece of crap. I was running 35's on the wrangler. I kept a spare tranny around for parts because that was the best way for parts since most of the parts were obsolete. Came in handy to, the cluster gear bearing went out on my way from TN to FL and ripped the teeth off the cluster gear. It was fun starting off in 4th gear (direct drive) on 35's. What's that smell, Oh yeh burning clutch. That may be why the trans was only used for 2 1\2 years.

The hack and tap is the only SYE kit for the 242. You can alwasys swap the 231 in though.

I would also say the 4.0 HO engine is an all around better engine also.

on my 88' i had a 3 inch RC lift and 31 inch tires without any SYE, TC drop or shims at all. does that mean i can get away with it on this 91? theoretically it should be the same since its the same diff right?

okay, and if it has an factory LSD is that good, or are they junk? keep in mind that its a daily driver that hardly ever goes off road(maybe 10% off road and 90% highway driving)and i live where there are lots of bad road conditions in the winter.

i loved having it in my 90. same winter crap here. and i when i was off road it made a big difference too. not sure about quality of it but i had my 90 for about 35k miles from about 129k on and never had an issue

k, so what i will do is take the 91 and swap my 3" lift and 31" tires onto it. but i also want to either re-gear to 4.10 or just drop in axles out of a 4cylinder that already have 4.10's but is there a way to keep the LSD whil doing this? like switching it over to the new 4cylinder axles or keeping it in the axles i have after re-gearing them?

Sounds like a good deal if the floorpans are ok. I like my 91' better than my 90' except that the 91' has a 231TC, I was spoiled by the 242TC. 231 is stronger but for this area I like the 242. Prob has 3.55 gearing.

maybe i should just leave it open because i have heard that there is no use having a factory LSD. i really don't know how the LSD works but all the posts i am reading are saying that they are no good, but maybe they just mean for off roading? what is the best setup for driving on icy highways? open, LSD, or locked?

Last edited:
Back