• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 to 3.4 swap

Olympia

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering doing a swap to a 3.4. I have been researching it a little and It pretty much is a bolt on application, with minor work being done to the oil pan, and then something about the distributor. Questions are: I think its TBI, and if so what sort of modification will I have to do to match it to my jeep, this is out of my league but I love trying new things and getting over my head.

If anybody has done this let me know how it went, and what problems arose. And I know people will tel me just to sell my rig and get something that I want.... But I love my jeep, I got it for hella cheap, and everything else, beside a little transmission trouble, works great. Thanks for the help guys.

As long as the 3.4 has the iron heads the stock or any carb manifold for the 60 degree engine should bolt up. A thought is that while you were at it you could swap over to tbi from an s 10 or trooper. As always remember the 2.8 3.1 and 3.4 are very similar and are all 60 degree GM v6 engines.

Likely donors are S-series trucks and the F-body cars (Camaro/Firebird,) but don't neglect the FWD vehicles while you're looking. Slide under and have a look at the back side of the engine block (as mounted) to see if there's a starter motor mounting pad there. If there is, you've found a GSR (Goodwrench Service Replacement) engine that was cast/machined for use in both FWD/RWD applications. It's always a possibility...

Back