• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a switch to reset the Check Engine light?

I don't think so. The check engine light is 'reset' by the computer not having any trouble codes stored. The only way to accomplish this is with a scan tool. I think you are thinking about some of the older model vehicles which had maintenance reminder timers that you had to have reset after a certain mileage.

You can buy the bare bones scan tools for $80.00. I have a little pocket scanner from Advance that is worth it's weight in gold! They are indespensible if you will be working much around cars as they pull the codes and clear them once you've corrected the problem. The best thing about the late models (1996-present) is that they are all OBDII and one scan tool will work on all of them! Do yourself a favor and spend the $80.00 for a scan tool. You'll be glad you did.

BrettM said:
Is there some place where a switch could be tapped in on 97+ XJs that could reset the Check Engine light? Engine running would be nice, but not entirely necessary...

Who's got a 97+ FSM?

Sounds like someone might looking for a way to make a shifter for the 97+ more user freindly?

Aaron

2001XJeep

Do you have a part number or a link to where the scan tool can be purchased, for $80 bucks I'd love to know what's set my "Check Engine" light on.

2001XJeep said:
I don't think so. The check engine light is 'reset' by the computer not having any trouble codes stored. The only way to accomplish this is with a scan tool. I think you are thinking about some of the older model vehicles which had maintenance reminder timers that you had to have reset after a certain mileage.

You can buy the bare bones scan tools for $80.00. I have a little pocket scanner from Advance that is worth it's weight in gold! They are indespensible if you will be working much around cars as they pull the codes and clear them once you've corrected the problem. The best thing about the late models (1996-present) is that they are all OBDII and one scan tool will work on all of them! Do yourself a favor and spend the $80.00 for a scan tool. You'll be glad you did.
but if there is no longer something causing the CE light, it will still take 51 key ons to clear (or disconnecting the battery). just wondering if there's any way to accelerate that process.

I got mine at Advance Auto parts. It was $79.99. I've also seen them at most other parts stores.

You can spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on a scan tool, but the Pocket Scan from Actron pulls all the codes and lets you clear them. Which is really all you need, at least for us weekend mechanics.

I've used mine countless times and it works easily, fast and reliably every time. Has saved me a bunch of headaches.

Follow this link,
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=ACN&mfrpartnumber=CP9125

BrettM said:
but if there is no longer something causing the CE light, it will still take 51 key ons to clear (or disconnecting the battery). just wondering if there's any way to accelerate that process.

It's programmed into the computer. You would either have to reprogram the computer (yeah, right), or clear the codes using a scan tool. Clearing the codes takes about 2 minutes.

Back