• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finally 44

aaronsxj

NAXJA Forum User
just installed my rear d44 today, front 44 will be next weekend. i have a couple of questions. are lock-rites really that loud around corners? and my u-joint seemed to fit the new yoke no problem, but on the test drive i seem to have a little more vibes than before, maybe the u-joint is going bad? or is it not as good of a fit that i thought?

There shouldn't be any slop between the u-joint and the yoke.
You might need to adjust the pinion angle if you have more vibes?

I have a lock rite in the front of mine and it rarely makes any noise or is that noticeable unless I am making a very tight turn (much more difficult to do). But mine is not driven on the road often. When it is on the road i don't know it is there (2wd, 231tc, solid front shafts without disco's).

HTH,
Michael

Ive got an aussie in the back of my 44 and DD it. I don't notice any noise unless I'm turning at very low speeds, I do get an occasional "pop" when it unloads in turns.

SANY0209-1.jpg

SANY0213-1.jpg

some pics. of the angle. and a sneek peek at the front.

SANY0199-1.jpg

Very nice quality photos.
However, they don't help much to diagnose the vibes ;)

Do you have a SYE?
Did you change anything else at the time of the swap (tires, TC, shafts, etc)?

Can you measure the angles at both ends (you might have to do a search to find how to find each of them for referances).

From the photos I suspect you don't have a SYE, in which case the angles at both ends of the shaft should be similar (referanced to the shaft). However, many people have found that it is sometimes better to have the axle pinion pointed toward the TC even without the SYE. Unfortunately there is no easy way of finding out without testing it.

As a side note, it could be as simple as your tires, wheels, u-joints, other?

Michael

i have a AA sye and TW driveshaft which were on before the 44. and your very right, it could be a couple other things. as soon as i get some wheel adapters i'll be putting my tires on new wheels and i'll rotate them, and also replace the u-joint when i go to the driveline shop to shorten my front shaft. thanks.

Avanteone said:
X2. You have a SYE so the rear pinion needs to be pointed directly at the t-case, minus 1 or 2 degrees.

J

X3, From the photos (which could be misleading) I assumed you didn't have a SYE, mostly due to your pinion angle being low. I agree that it should be moved up so that it is directlyn (minus 1 or 2 degrees) in line with your drive shaft.

Michael

SANY0262-1.jpg

SANY0268-1.jpg

finally drove it last night for the first time with both 44's, so far so good. also shimed up the rear and got a much better pinion angle. now to go flex it a couple of times and make sure everything is tight and right.

Back