• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An Update on My RMS Adventures

javajeep

NAXJA Forum User
About two months ago, I change my RMS and posted about it here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=942082

Well, there is good news and bad. I believe (but could be wrong) that the RMS is not leaking. However, I don't think I did a good job on the oil pan gasket. It It is leaking pretty bad and I used the expensive blue gasket. It seems to be leaking from the front of the vehicle.

I am not sure what I did wrong, but the flu hit me the day I put it back on and, while I am usually very careful, I probably was not as careful as I should have been on that day.

In any case, I plan to drain all the royal purple out of it next weekend, drop the pan, and try to fix what I did wrong. Instead of testing it with more royal purple, I am going to refill it with pennzoil until I know the leak is fixed.

My question is this: I have put about 1000 miles on it with the blue gasket. If I drop the oil pan, can I reuse it? I know that I will have to visually inspect it first, but, assuming that I find no defects, do you think I can reuse it?

Is it rubber or cork?If its rubber You should be able to reuse it.I had my timing cover off awhile back and I have the rubber gasket.It resealed well....

kellen said:
could it be the oil filter o rings?

Yes, that is leaking and so is the valve cover. I plan to change those also. However, there is almost no doubt that I have a good leak near the front of the oilpan.

Back