• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wiper Problem

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if the intermittent and spray modes of the wiper operate on different relays or not? my rear wiper on my '97 used to work perfectly and then it started to only work once and a while on the intermittent setting. it eventually stopped working on that setting but if i push the button all the way down for spray, the motor/ wiper works fine. it's just a pain in the butt to have to use the spray every time i want some wiper action. are there two relays, one for each setting? if so, which one controls just the intermittent setting? i know the motor is good because it still works fine, just not on the first setting of the switch...

I just replaced the switch today and that didn't fix the problem, leading me to belive it's a relay problem but i really don't know. any ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have diagrams handy (not at home) but my recollection is that the wires for both intermittent and wash go straight to the motor and that the relay is internal. If not, then it's attached to the motor at that end. I don't think there's a relay at all for the wash function.

Back home at last, but the 99 FSM is out in the barn. I have here the 95 diagram, and the rear wiper motor on that has its intermittent function internal. There are no relays involved. There are four connections to the motor. #1 (black) is the ground. #2 (black and yellow) is shared with the washer pump, and bypasses both park and intermittent circuits within the motor. #3 (brown/red) is for run, and #4 (white) is for park. If the motor runs on wash and parks correctly, then I'd suspect a defect in the internal intermittent module or the connection to it. It might be possible in a pinch to open it up and bypass it so that you get non-intermittent running. Before doing anything, though, I'd see what happens when you send 12 volts + to terminal 3 at the motor. If it works, then it's a wiring problem.

I'll try to find my 99 FSM tomorrow and see if it differs.

For a 99

23w7i8j.png

so if your wiper works on the wash function but nothing else then your relay is bad? and by the relay you mean that little black box attached to the motor?

just for the record, i still haven't fixed mine but i've been too busy with other stuff to tear into it. if i do figure it out i'll let you guys know. until then, i still check on this thread and any info is still appreciated!
Thanks

When I bought my 99 last year I had the exact same problem. Someone recommended taking the rocker switch apart and cleaning the terminals. I just replaced the rocker switch on the dash. I think it was about 15 bucks from the dealer. I have had no problems since.

yes, pop out the trim piece around the console and the switch is on a plate that is held in by 3 screws. then you have to unclip the switch and unplug the wire connector. very simple and for reference i paid about 15 bucks for the switch at the 'ship.

Hmm, my XJ had exactly the same intermittent operation problem, and was cured with a new switch. The washer has never worked, and I am thrilled to know that all I have to do to check the pump/reservoir is remove the body. That is one of the more severely retarded designs I've encountered.

i shoul also mention the switch install i was talking about is for a 97+. pre 97 isn't much different but the trim piece is more of a pain and has some screws...

BADaXJ said:
i shoul also mention the switch install i was talking about is for a 97+. pre 97 isn't much different but the trim piece is more of a pain and has some screws...

Thanks. Mine's a 97 so it should be easy.

Old topic, but I figured I would add my 2 cents on it. I had the same problem, starting with a blown fuse and a mechanically jammed wiper switch on a 97. Replaced the switch and fuse and got it to work on wash only. Tested a bunch of stuff and ended up putting in another used switch, works just fine on both settings now.

Moral of the story, sometimes you cannot trust used parts!

Back