• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about Lifts

Mark0491

NAXJA Forum User
I Just bought Some 2 " coil spacers For my 92 xj ( laredo) I allready have 2" blocks for the rear But i was wonder what kind of U bolts do i get? Does napa sell them.

Also What kind Of Universal joints ana i going to need for my front ( they are right behind the tire ) Thanks

Mark0491 said:
I Just bought Some 2 " coil spacers For my 92 xj ( laredo) I allready have 2" blocks for the rear But i was wonder what kind of U bolts do i get? Does napa sell them.

Also What kind Of Universal joints ana i going to need for my front ( they are right behind the tire ) Thanks

Mark, I would be rethinking the rear blocks, while you are working on your suspension.

Are your U joints bad?

If you ever get down to Waterville, Harry J. Smith will make up whatever size U bolts you want for $9.00 a piece.

Brake Service on Front St. in Skowhegan is great for drive shafts. They will check/replace U joints, balance, etc.

If you're interested in wheelin, check us out:
www.midcoastjeep.com

X4, blocks are a bad idea. A 16 year old set of leaf springs will only go bad even faster with blocks. Shackles, or even an add-a-leaf if you are going as far as removing the rear axle to install blocks(Bad).

I've had good luck with Spicer sealed u-joints on my rigs, personal preference.

Last edited:
If you feel like you want to be in the positon I was. I would never suggest Blocks!!!

Because of the stress from the block on my leafs, the leafs snaped and sheared the eye bolt and in doing so while going about 35 miles an hour shifted my whole axle, dug my my tire into my body and came to a screaching holt and poped out the drive shaft. One of the worst days of my life.

Thanks For the info .. the thing with the blocks is Im Flat broke and have 2 " blocks. Im trying to get the jeep Inspectable. Yes the u joint in the front is bad . And i cant replace one Gotta Do both. :tears:

i'm doing a 2 inch aal with 49" trailmasters and a stock pair of CJ shackles. i got the aal's for 20 bucks + shipping on jeepforum. the shackles are about a half inch longer than factory xj shackles and coil spacers in the front. from the story bwfdrums just told, i think leaf blocks are out. Hasta anyway, look for deals, theyr'e out there.

Mark0491 said:
Thanks For the info .. the thing with the blocks is Im Flat broke and have 2 " blocks. Im trying to get the jeep Inspectable. Yes the u joint in the front is bad . And i cant replace one Gotta Do both. :tears:

Are you referring to the u-joints on the axles that are directly behind your tires ? I'm not sure if just those are replacable, I think you have to replace the whole axle on each side ? Let me get a pic for you or for anyone looking at this thread :
U-Jointsonaxleends004.jpg

U-Jointsonaxleends003.jpg

Yep those are the ones I believe they are replacable Because in the Chilton and the Haynes manual they both say they are. Allthought i could be wrong any help

Yes they are replaceable. Here is a write up on how to do it. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm. It is very easy to do with the right tools. I used the Harbor Freight tool used in that article and it was a cake walk. That same tool can be used for all u joint replacement (driveshaft, axle, etc..) and ball joint replacement so it it a pretty good investment and makes the jobs a lot easier.

Ill order the tool tommarow ... Were can i order the u Joints? also do i have to know what kind of Axel I have ? Is thier like a picture guide so its easier for me to tell?

Mark0491 said:
Ill order the tool tommarow ... Were can i order the u Joints? also do i have to know what kind of Axel I have ? Is thier like a picture guide so its easier for me to tell?

You also need to obtain the correct U joints--if you have ABS, you have the larger ones (760s). Have you called around locally (well, as locally as possible--is there a parts store in Bingham, I forget? If you need to mail order, I would try www.rockauto.com.

asp387 said:
i'm doing a 2 inch aal with 49" trailmasters and a stock pair of CJ shackles. i got the aal's for 20 bucks + shipping on jeepforum. the shackles are about a half inch longer than factory xj shackles and coil spacers in the front. from the story bwfdrums just told, i think leaf blocks are out. Hasta anyway, look for deals, theyr'e out there.
CJ shackles wont fit.

Mark0491 said:
I Belive i have abs Guess i should check time to do a vin number check

Yup, find that out. Otherwise, your axle is a High Pinion Dana 30. The older XJs used the smaller U joints unless they had ABS. The newer ones all use the larger ones. That's about the only advantage of having ABS on an older Jeep. The really bad downside is that if you have ABS, you also have the crappy Dana 35 rear axle (unless, of course, someone has replaced it).

Heres what i found out.

Made in the U.S.A
Jeep
Multi Purpose Vehicle
Cherokee 4WD
Grand/Laredo ? (trim)
4 Door Wagon
4.0 Litre
Made In Toledo?

Nothing about ABS.

But i think I Have a Dana 35 C or a 8.25 In the rear

Hmmm I have no ABS Light in my dash (will look in fuse panels )

Last edited:
Mark0491 said:
Nothing about ABS.

But i think I Have a Dana 35 C or a 8.25 In the rear

Ha ha--Mark, it's pretty much guaranteed to be one or the other (unless it's been swapped). If it's the 8.25, you do not have ABS. If it's the D35, you may or may not. The 8.25 diff has a flat bottom--the D35 diff is rounded, so they are easy to tell apart.

If you have ABS, there should be an ABS light on the left side of the dash. Also, you'll have an ABS pump (black cylindrical looking thing with brake lines going to it) near your master cylinder.

Mark0491 said:
I looked The only light i see Doesnt light up it says CHECK ANTILOCK . And its a dana 35c also i got stuck in a snowbank :(

So we're still not sure, then, that you have ABS (bulb could be burned out). Pretty likely, though, having the 35. Take a look under the hood for the ABS pump.

Not surprised you got stuck--I've had to switch on the locker to get out of my own yard this winter and I'm sure you've got more snow than we do. We get up to Bingham once in a while--lived there as a child. We've spent many hours on the Scott Paper roads exploring.

Last edited:
91XJRubicXD said:

Not sure but...
Take a good look at the lower cup in the photo of this R/F axle shaft u-joint. It appears there is metal fatigue rust dust in the photo. If it is, get this fixed by replacing that U-joint before you do any damage or get stuck on a trail.

There is a link to a write-up in another post in this same thread.

Tom

Back