• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np231 in sand ?

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How do you shift in & out of 4LO in thick sand or mud ?
I know this seems like a newB question but I think something is wrong with mine - 94 XJ Auto - ?

Assuming i m in 4Hi, the car is stuck
1- put the trans in N
2- Shift the TC straight to 4lo or need to stop at N for a while ?
3- Does it make any difference which gear I was on in 4Hi before shifting to 4LO ?
eg: moving forward in 4HI shift to 4LO can I use reverse right away or need to go forward then shift to reverse ?

4- Dissengaging is the same ?

4lo in sand will probably only get you more stuck.

Vehicle speed is your friend in sand. Use 4hi as this will lower your chances of spinning the tires.

Try this
Before you get on the sand lower the air pressure in all your tires.
Use 4hi.
Remember vehicle speed (not wheel speed, wheel speed = digging).
If you feel your forward momentum stop, take your foot off the gas. At this point the only thing you are doing is digging yourself deeper.
Try reverse. If the Jeep does not go backward take your foot off the gas.
Digging out in sand is a lot easier than regular dirt. You can use your hands.
Assuming you took your foot off the gas & the axle or frame are not sitting on the sand...dig a trench out in back of all 4 tires. Place carpet, boards, floor mats, etc. under at least the rear tires.
Keep steering wheels straight. In 4hi back up. Once you get going go at least 10 yards, get out of the area you got stuck in.
If that does not work get out your strap.

Take a couple 2 x 10 at least six feet long, old pieces of carpet, or whatever you can find around home, work, etc. This is for traction if you get stuck.
Under no circumstance use 4lo in the sand. Remember, vehicle speed is good, wheel speed is bad. You want to 'float on top of the sand'. Using 4lo will dig you in.

I have been riding sand since the late 1960's and have found the above worked best.

Last edited:
TJ Rat said:
4lo in sand will probably only get you more stuck.

Vehicle speed is your friend in sand. Use 4hi as this will lower your chances of spinning the tires.

Try this
Before you get on the sand lower the air pressure in all your tires.
Use 4hi.
Remember vehicle speed (not wheel speed, wheel speed = digging).
If you feel your forward momentum stop, take your foot off the gas. At this point the only thing you are doing is digging yourself deeper.
Try reverse. If the Jeep does not go backward take your foot off the gas.
Digging out in sand is a lot easier than regular dirt. You can use your hands.
Assuming you took your foot off the gas & the axle or frame are not sitting on the sand...dig a trench out in back of all 4 tires. Place carpet, boards, floor mats, etc. under at least the rear tires.
Keep steering wheels straight. In 4hi back up. Once you get going go at least 10 yards, get out of the area you got stuck in.
If that does not work get out your strap.

Take a couple 2 x 10 at least six feet long, old pieces of carpet, or whatever you can find around home, work, etc. This is for traction if you get stuck.
Under no circumstance use 4lo in the sand. Remember, vehicle speed is good, wheel speed is bad. You want to 'float on top of the sand'. Using 4lo will dig you in.

I have been riding sand since the late 1960's and have found the above worked best.

Its obvious that the terrain is different here.
When you are climbing a 30 ft sand dune at 60 deg angle and you are stuck half way to the top 4HI isnt going to get me anywhere exept deeper in sand, and that because 4HI doesnt respond in thick sand unless you rev up too +2000 rpm which makes the wheels slip then dig.(automatic trans)
Using 4Lo gives a very sensitive throttle response and enough torque at 1250 rpm to get the wheels moving REALLLLLLLY slow ( of course in reverse)

PS: I tried both 4HI & 4Lo when I was stuck, I also thought that 4LO was bad in sand but everybody here inculding ME proved that I was wrong

My .02

You are right, I guess the terrains are totally different as no one I know would stop on a sand hill as that is asking for trouble. If the momentum is starting to go away, we turn around and try it again only using more vehicle speed.

No one I know would even consider using low range in the sand here. Flotation and momentum are the keys to staying unstuck.

I am only sharing with you what I have learned over the last 30+ years off roading in both 2wd and 4wd trucks & Jeeps.

Enjoy your off roading in Egypt. The key is to have fun no matter where you are. :cheers:

TJ Rat you are definitely right about momentum but you cannot always maintain enough momentum when climbing steep dunes, so you keep going untill you are stuck. You cant really turn back on all dunes many of them will make the vehichle roll over. so the best way is to keep it aligned engage low range then reverse all the way down.

My question is how do I engage 4LO when I m not moving ?

mine either pops out of 4LO or or grind when I m going back from neutral to 4HI

you might have some linkage issues happening but i will comfirm letting the air out of your tires will make all the differance in the world let it out to about 12or15 psi

Pharaoh XJ said:
TJ Rat you are definitely right about momentum but you cannot always maintain enough momentum when climbing steep dunes, so you keep going untill you are stuck. You cant really turn back on all dunes many of them will make the vehichle roll over. so the best way is to keep it aligned engage low range then reverse all the way down.

My question is how do I engage 4LO when I m not moving ?

mine either pops out of 4LO or or grind when I m going back from neutral to 4HI

Engaging 4lo.
> Complete stop.
> Put vehicle in Park.
> Shift TC to 4lo.
> Put tranny in gear.

To get it out.
> Complete stop.
> Shift tranny to Park.
> Shift TC to 4hi.
> Put tranny in gear.
I have found it helpful to back up about 15 feet to insure the TC is out of lo.

It might be tricky sometimes. Develop a feel for it. It should not grind all the time. Popping out of gear, like said above might be linkage (that would be the easy one). If popping out of gear and grinding are related you might have internal issues.

Back