• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar ball stud removal?

ZJeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I cant get my flippin track bar off. I tried using a pickle fork and BFH but the thing will not come off. I have to be doing something wrong. Please help me. I took the cotter pin and castle nut out so im not that crazy haha and i got the axle end off but but the damn frame end wont come off. I got a jks track bar and now i wish i had gotten the tnt with the HD bracket so i could just remove the whole damn thing all together. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also I did search and all i could find were things about the axle end, and a few write ups where they used pickle forks and it popped right off. Mine isnt "popping right off" haha

Twice in the past i have had to remove the bracket. it is really not that bad, beats spending two hours strugling with it attached to the jeep.

After the bracket is off, you can get a much better waling on the stud with a BFH. it is too easy after that....

i've always just knocked the living hell out of the bracket - it usually falls completely out within 4-5 hits if you're using a decent sized hammer..like a 3lb or so

I had to wail on it with a pickle fork and a mini sledge for quite a while, and it finally gave up. You could do as suggested and just take off the whole bracket.

I just had to remove mine yesterday after installing new coils. It is extremely tight but with using a tie rod seperator and a mini sledge as Timber said it does come off after a few hits. The area you live in will also be determining factors as well as if it's dry and rust is non existant then just a few hits but if everything rusts extremely bad then it'll take a while longer and harder hits.

Yep, use a mini sledge hammer like the guys said before. I use a 3lb and have to swing pretty hard on the end of the pickle fork, pops right out.

I was going to do the same as you last week and had the same problems. My cheap pickle fork would spread. After I got my frame bracket off and reworked my pickle fork the tre came off with the first whack!

i got it off, had to take the bracket off and lay it against the curb then smash the shit out of it with a pickle fork and 4lb mini sledge. Thanks for the help.

I feel your pain - I don't have anything new to add. I used a pickle fork and 3lb sledge to beat the livin daylights out of it. After several rounds I finally won.

ZJeepX said:
i got it off, had to take the bracket off and lay it against the curb then smash the shit out of it with a pickle fork and 4lb mini sledge. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it off but I was going to suggest taking the bracket off first. It probably made it easier to drill the hole and grind the taper for the JKS.

next time try heating it up after spraying a little penatrating oil on it. do that 2 or 3 times and then use the hammer and fork. the heat helps the oil get between the parts and expands and contracts the metals as it cools. thus releasing it to a certian extent. hammer blows should allways be kept to minimum. but sometimes its just the only way.

Back