• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

voltage drop leads to overheating?

Dingo509

NAXJA Forum User
So i made a 400 mile round trip drive to Oregon and back this last Saturday. going down there everything was fine. Coming back, well that's another story. I noticed the Jeep getting a little warmer than normal, just slightly above 210. Yes it's abnormal for My XJ. it normally runs just under 210 including 112* stop and go (no a/c need to fix that) Here's the specifics on the equipment and the normal readings

The GPS (Garmin GPS III+ voltmeter) normally reads between 13.8 and 14.0 volts when above idle.

This is with the dual electric fans running and the stereo on. (no amp, no subs)

The fuel pressure is right at 43 PSI (autometer pro-comp mechanical gauge with isolator)

The fancy AFR gauge ( Air fuel ratio, autometer pro-comp ultra-lite) reads about the middle of the gauges range.

Now here's the problem, i noticed the temp was reading a bit high, and that the voltage had dropped to 13.2-13.4, the AFR gauge was reading towards the lean side. The fuel pressure had dropped to 39 psi.

What i was thinking is that the voltage drop caused the fuel pump to lose pressure, this leaned out the AFR. And then because of the low voltage the fans were not turning at there full speed resulting in a air flow loss?

Does anybody else think this a possible situation? Or do i have more going on?
Or have i added more to the problem than what's really there?

Dingo

43 # seem high what year and model engine? Did you get a tank of Gas with alcohol over 10%. Its thinner and passes through injectors faster and burns hotter.

Voltage drop can screw up the computer which will mess with just about everything including AFM. Coud be running rich which would make you run hotter than normal. Was your mileage different. Alternator may need replacing. How long in the tooth is it?

just a wild guess but maybe your belt was slipping and causing the water pump not to work efficently. same with your alt. but it wouldnt explain the fuel problem. just a guess

JeepFreak91 said:
just a wild guess but maybe your belt was slipping and causing the water pump not to work efficently. same with your alt. but it wouldn't explain the fuel problem. just a guess
The lower than normal voltage is still within normal range, you just got too many gadgets.
Long drive battery was way up so voltage was cut back, you got some not so good gas somewhere, dirt in the filter would drop the pressure and a lean engine will run hotter.

langer1 said:
43 # seem high what year and model engine? Did you get a tank of Gas with alcohol over 10%. Its thinner and passes through injectors faster and burns hotter.

43# is higher than stock. The computer and fuel rail is a 91. The airflow is better due to the 99 manifold and a borla header. I incresed the pressure slightly trying to richen the mix back when i was having a lean fuel problem. it's never caused a problem so i left it that way.

The fuel it's self is a good possibility, i used the same gasthat i normally use to start the trip. but in Oregon you can't pump your own gas, so i didn't pay any attention to the additives.

Dingo

Back