• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check antilock warning lamp?

jma

NAXJA Forum User
I`m about to buy a very good looking and nice -91/92 Cherokee 4.0 HO.
But there is a problem with the ABS system. The owner did disconnect the sensors on all 4 wheels so it is supposed to work as a non-abs car now. But today, right before i was meeting him, the Check antilock lamp started to light up, and he looses his brakes...
What causes this problem? What is the best way to solve this?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello? I really need help...

I have been reading about this ABS system a lot, and that its shit. But why does it fail even when the sensors are disconnected?

Please help..

Is it 91 or 92? 90/91 was the first-generation system that most everyone hates. 92 was a better system (so I hear).

Search for ABS, and look at my posts regarding the 90/91 Bendix system. The system fails even when the sensors are disconnected as it lacks a redundant braking system common to more modern ABS systems. In other words, ALL brake boost is derived from a single electric pump, and there is no vacuum boost if the electric pump fails. If the pump is working you should hear a loud WRTTTTT noise when you power up the Jeep.

It may be that he has just pulled the wrong fuse. If so, after the brake pedal is pushed (at best) 50 times, power boost is gone. It could be a different failed component. Maintaining this old system can get expensive - the diagnostic computer throws false codes, and components are rapidly becoming unavailable. There is a factory life-time warranty that (in theory) means the dealer will replace some components for free. . . Good luck getting "free" work done on a 15 yr old Jeep. I spent $400+ at the dealer before I decided to rip it out.

Considering that the previous owner has already started dismantling the system, in my opinion the best way to solve the problem would be to replace it with a 95/96 conventional braking system. It cost me a few hundred in parts, I was quoted about $600 to have it done.

Thanks for the great answer 3XJFamily!
I did acutally buy the car, so no it IS my problem. Its not that it is problematic all the time, it come and goes.
Its a late -91 or early -92, registered in late -91.

He hasnt pulled any fuse, just diconnected the sensor wires under the hood & backseat.

The pedal gets really stiff, almost impossible to breake..

jma said:
Thanks for the great answer 3XJFamily!
I did acutally buy the car, so no it IS my problem. Its not that it is problematic all the time, it come and goes.
Its a late -91 or early -92, registered in late -91.

He hasnt pulled any fuse, just diconnected the sensor wires under the hood & backseat.

The pedal gets really stiff, almost impossible to breake..

Sounds like you are losing boost. It kind of makes your heart race, wondering if it's going to stop in time. . . I had thought of it as "not problematic all the time" then I had one of those Ho!y $hit moments with my wife in the Jeep, and she said something to the point of: "Are you friggin' crazy, driving around wondering when that is going to happen - you're gonna kill yourself or someone else ! ! !". . . (that's the short version). . .

It's broke, fix it one way or another. You are tossing the dice everytime you drive, and sooner or later a bad number will come up. . .

jma said:
Btw; will a Hydroboost kit completly replace my ABS brakesystem, or is it just an add on for conventional brakesystem?
Like this kit: http://www.vancopbs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=205J
That product looks like it uses the power steering pump for boost and could be used to replace the ABS system or replace a conventional system. Probably overkill and more dificult than replacing with a 95/96 booster.

Sounds like a good idea to fix yeah..

Do you know where i can the right parts for a 95/96 replacement kit? Or at least what parts do i need? Is it any kind of How to anywhere on the internet?

I really appreciate your gratefull help, thanks man!

If it was me i would head out to a junk yard and pull out a complete brake system off a jeep xj of similar year. By doing this you eliminate all stupid ABS problems and have reliable brakes again.

pete

Find a donor vehicle in a junkyard, check the NAXJA classifieds, or ebay. a 91 - 94 should fit right in and is "adequate", a 95/96 will be a better system. Take the donor system from the rubber on the brake pedal to the first few inches of lines coming out of the master cylinder/portioning valve assembly - just cut the old lines. . . Take everything. . . .

I suppose you could buy a new 95/96 master cylinder and booster but you'd be lacking the pedal assembly and you'll need that to avoid fabrication work.

Use the SEARCH function here - it's all been covered, a few excellent write-ups. Replace the master cylinder and pedal assembly, apply a little flaring skill (or adapters) to hook up the lines, replace the rear wheel cylinders (the ABS ones are smaller than standard), and bleed the whole system.

It's basic plumbing - except your life depends on it. My point being: if you've never done a a master cylinder replacement or brake job you may want to source the donor parts and turn it over to an experienced mechanic.

Back