• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Slider/Protection Bar Mock Up

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking of a way to create some rock/slider protection for my driveshaft. The ends would need to flex and the center section would need to slip in order to work properly. Here is an idea I have to place a dual stage DOM rock bar under the driveshaft to take the beating instead of the shaft iteslf. Please critique and post opinions.

Driveshaftbar.jpg

Last edited:
Also, instead of welding a bracket to the TC skid, instead I think I would make a boxed steel cross member going all the way across from drivers to passengers side and weld it to the unibody for the heim mounting point on the TC end.

I like the idea of some kind of protection for the shaft.... but not with the sacrifice of clearance!

For me, it would be MAXIMUM peace of mind. Losing a driveshaft on the trail is a real bummer. Not to mention, with it being a slider, clearance is now less concern. With this setup, you would not lose cricitcal clearance anyhow.

i would turn it around so you dont have a shelf to catch on rocks. if you flipped it around the rocks would just slide from the big end to the small end.

How are you mainly wheeling this thing? This slider would be great for rock ledges and such but wont a rock that isnt perfectly lined up with the slider just hit the shaft from a different angle or from the side? However, that being said it would lessen the force of the hit if it wasnt straight onto the shaft. I like the idea, very original. Cant wait to see the finished product.

to remedy that you could always cut a pipe in half a bit bigger in Dia. than the drive shaft and weld it to the tube. and to keep the slip joint working put a spacer on the tube whatever thickness the pipe is to allow it to slide over the other section.

make sense?

driveshaftskid.jpg

Last edited:
think about a traction bar and search for pics on naxja you could mount two bars to either axle and have them converge under the DS to a center point at the cross member. eliminate the slip joint and use two heims at the crossmember or a heim and a leaf spring shackle. search for some pics you may be able to obtain the best of both worlds.

Revision: In order to make the rock bar stronger, I will make both DOM tubes almost the full length so there is no step. I will cut back the 1.5" OD inner DOM about 3" from the end near the diff to give it enough room to travel. I will also cut back the 2" OD DOM about 4" from the top mount as well. 3" of slip will be plenty and will ultimately result in a 1"ID/2"OD/1'2" wall DOM rock bar/driveshaft slider. Probably overkill, but I like overkill.

Chris @ GATR said:
Yeah, but yor complcating things now. :D

haha! i say run with your ideas. its a good fix to a vulnerable part of the rig when rock crawling

bj-666 said:
think about a traction bar and search for pics on naxja you could mount two bars to either axle and have them converge under the DS to a center point at the cross member. eliminate the slip joint and use two heims at the crossmember or a heim and a leaf spring shackle. search for some pics you may be able to obtain the best of both worlds.

Not a bad idea, but I am looking for protection immediately under the DS.

well you can do a few things if the bars are level with the bottom of the DS you can just run a plate between the two. if they end up above the DS bend/weld two plates in a tryangular shape to go from one bar down under the DS and back up there were a few pics floating around of a one link suspension that protected the drive shafts.

Back