• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts source--banjo bolt, castle nut

dubbyx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a bear of a time finding banjo bolts for my '90. Checked our parts pile--calipers all gone. Checked the junk yards, same thing. AutoZone, Advance, Napa, etc. don't have 'em. Yet to check the stealership though--last resort sorta thing.

Also can't find a castle nut for one of the rod ends, without buying the whole end. Anyone have a cross reference for these parts, or a place to get 'em?

Thanks-

dubby

I usually get this stuff from mcmaster.com. I've gotten my stuff overnight in most cases with reasonable standard shipping rates.

Moris 4X4 ....Jeep Parts Number : 4006700....$2.99 ea for the banjo bolts.
The castle nut part #J0274428..........my local mom and pop hardware store carry castle nuts, it should be easy to find one.
My local NAPA has banjo bolts along with the crush washers in, they ahve a master kit and also have it on the "HELP" rack. I'd try another store.

mcmaster is indeed useful, but doesn't help when you don't know the size, thread, pitch, etc.

I have found an assortment of the castle nuts on the HELP section, but have been hesitant as they are all standard vs. metric.

Hmm, local ACE hardware actually has a huge selection of fasteners and hardware. My local one has castle nuts and banjo bolts and everything else. Maybe check w/them if you have one local

My local hardware store also has a small section of castellated nuts. I've been able to get them for suspension before, but I forgot to note the thread size.

I'm surprised that parts houses don't have Banjo bolts - they're usually listed in their brake hardware catalogue. However, I've gotten good service from Morris in the past (been using them for a few years for OEM parts I'm in no huge hurry for,) and they've done rather well by me.

motormite/help! make quite a few banjo bolts (only in 7/16x20 and M10x1.5 though) in varying lengths. tell the kid behind the counter to drag out the book and stop dicking around in the computer.

it's funny how many times people post with "hard to find parts" when I can go pull them all day long at the local yard for $1/as-many-fit-in-pockets :p

Advance carries banjo bolts, you have to ask for brake hose bolts. Otherwise the computer jockey will just stare at you (I know, I r one :D) There are a few to choose from in the Help! section, and the catalog behind the counter should have a listing for the 90 XJ.

Edit: The Motormite (Help!) part # is 13948. Even if they don't stock it, they should be able to order one PDQ and have it overnight or couple days max.

The Saturday before Easter is not a good time to ask any parts jockey to "Use a Book". They just can't do it anymore it seems.

I'd tried two separate junkyards before a very long trip to NAPA yesterday. Yards around here tend to pull the useful parts for quick retrieval--and throw away the bolts. Their logic is that once separated, they won't have any idea what it went to. Calipers are easy pull items, so they don't leave 'em. Stupid, but that's the way it is.

I did find the banjo bolt though, at NAPA. Had to take the caliper in and try each of their offerings before we finally found one that would work. Ended up finding it in a mix-match box, so I can't offer any information on part #'s, size, or thread pitch.

I managed to talk one of the counter fellers out of a new castle nut on a replacement rod-end at AZ after trying the ones in the help container. I felt kinda bad about it for a second, and then I remembered all the times I've picked up incomplete parts from the same store. My turn...

Thanks for the pt # on the motormite banjo bolt. I may very well need it in the future, and it was just lucky that I found the one at NAPA.

Back