• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle shaft removal

doinky72

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,I have a problem on my xj. I'm trying to take out the axle shafts to put the new chromos in. I have the axle retaining nut off and all three of the 13 mm bolts out. But the hub wont come off so I cant get the axle out. This is happening on both sides. Yes the axles have never been taken out. Any Ideas I need help ASAP so I can go on a run tomorrow.Thanks all,Chris

You did pull the calipers and rotors, correct? Sorry, but you would not guess how many people forget this step. Then, once the 3 bolts are removed from the unit bearing hub, the whole assembly should slide out without force.

Last edited:
Chris @ GATR said:
Then, once the 3 nuts are removed from the unit bearing hub, the whole assembly should slide out without force.

Yeah right, 5lb sledge and lots of cussing to get mine off the first time.:flamemad:

Overdriven said:
Yeah right, 5lb sledge and lots of cussing to get mine off the first time.:flamemad:
Click the link I just posted and read step #4. :looney: Having to fight the alxe shafts out means there is something wrong. Could be excess dirt/mud buildup in the axle bearings , tubes or seals.

In the link I gave above, people have had success putting a bolt or a spark plug socket between the outer yoke and the inner C, then turning the steering wheel.

Yes, ideally, the hub should pop off easily. I never had a problem with my two Jeeps. But rust can wreak havoc and make them very difficult to remove.

Another method is to thread the three bolts in only part way and then hit them with a sledge. But it's a good idea to get some donor bolts for this task.

One way I have heard of doing it was to leave the bolt threaded in a little. Attach a socket and extension. Turn the wheel till the extension is resting against the inner C. From there you can let go of it and use the force of the steering to push the hub assembly out.

Never tryed that steering thing but You can rent a puller it goes on your studs an has a big slid hammer thing works great. still took me 15 min of hard pullin though to get mine out.

I will try the bolt trick I am trying the sledge but I don't want to break the hub either so I will try that thanks all. if there are any other suggestions please let me know.
Chris

Well I got the hubs off but in the process I stripped one of the bolt holes. Well I guess I need to get new hubs and use the other as a spare. Anyone no of any where to pick that up fairly cheap.
Thanks,
Chris

The price new on them sux but you get a lifetime warranty at some places. That may come in handy if you are running big tires. I have replace a few under warranty before.

Outside of that if you want to buy used... hit up a bone yard. find an XJ with the tires still on. Jack the tire up off the ground and try to wiggle the tire up and down. If you feel any play, the hub is probably bad. I picked up a spare hub this way for the trail. I've used it a few times when I and a buddy of mine trashed ours on two different trips.

Chris @ GATR said:
Click the link I just posted and read step #4. :looney: Having to fight the alxe shafts out means there is something wrong. Could be excess dirt/mud buildup in the axle bearings , tubes or seals.

perhaps the fellow trying to remove hubs in massachusetts might wish to ignore somene in georgia. especially if said georgian has three hundred posts in a month since joining.

SKIM said:
Never tryed that steering thing but You can rent a puller it goes on your studs an has a big slid hammer thing works great. still took me 15 min of hard pullin though to get mine out.
if you do this make sure you leave the big nut in the center of the hub on the shaft as the hub will usually seperate before it comes out of the knuckle.

best way is to either have a spare bolt or spare socket you don't care about and back the 3 bolts out a bit and beat on them with a sledge and work your way around till it starts moving. the steering thing works but can send the socket and extension flying with great force:lecture:

doinky72 said:
Well I got the hubs off but in the process I stripped one of the bolt holes. Well I guess I need to get new hubs and use the other as a spare. Anyone no of any where to pick that up fairly cheap.
Thanks,
Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jeep...208437907QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190208437907

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...009203652QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380009203652

But make sure you get the right year. 84-89 is different from 90-up...

Robert

(Edit, 'cause Johnny C is right. Brain fart...)

Last edited:
And 90-mid 99 is different than mid 99-01.

doinky72 said:
Thanks,
Chris

the key now is to make sure whichever brand you use, you antiseize on the surfaces of the hub that mate to the knuckle. in the future this may not prevent them from sticking again, but it does make it less likely.

the nex time you remove the hubs, i reccommend against the bfh method. i have done it many ways. the bfh and cold chisel works but scars the knuckle surface and trashed the brake shield. slide hammer, doesn't always work and puts stress on the stub shaft. bfh and bolt, you have discovered can trash the threads in the hub.

What i do now is use a grade5 bolt that is about 2.5 in longer than the stock bolt and then use the power steering to pop them loose. i keep the bolt in the same tool kit with the 36mm socket. i've done hubs on each of my three xj's and about a half dozen others in the area. living in the rust belt has its price.

the way i get the hubs off it to back all 3 bolts off until the end of the bolt is flush with the outer surface of the hub so that the threads are engaged all the way thru the hub. then tap and each of the bolts with a hammer until it starts moving.

Back