• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed MORE Motor Mounts... a couple ??s

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so first off, WHY does nothing seem to simply 'bolt in' on my '96 XJ?!?!?...

OK, so I have been needing to replace the cr@ppy A-zone motor mount and settled on some MORE Bullet Proof mounts as I didn't want to have to do the job again and also didn't want the increased vibrations and harshness of Poly Motor Mounts.

I had to sand off a bit of surface area on the thru spacers/fittings that the cross bolts mount thru in order to get the MORE Mounts to actually fit into the mount that bolts to the engine. Although when I calipered the old mounts that came off to the new ones they appeared the same, there was NO way I was going to be able to make the MORE's fit w/out a little modification. Plus on the passengers side mount (the really bad one) I had to wiggle and jack and wiggle and pry to get the front and rear bolts to go thru their holes and then to line up the front and rear part of the large thru bolt. What a bunch of work. Drivers side wasn't as bad, but still had to do some struggling to get it in.

Now on to my ??s... Of course I noticed what feels like a lot more vibrations and noise now and wanted to see if this was normal w/the MORE bullet-proof mounts after coming f/the shotty Rubber mounts that were there? Will this vibration settle as the mounts break in a bit?

Also, I noticed that because I had to really jack on the engine pan (jack w/ wood block for spacer) I bent the pan up a bit... say about 1/2" to 3/4" ... and I wondered if this was going to screw up my Oil Pickup? Since I've not had the pan off I don't know how low the OE pickup sits in a 4.0 XJ. The oil pressure seems fine and not fluctuating any more than normal while driving and idling so I wasn't too worried, but I wanted to ask for advice on that as well.

Thanks all...

I also had to grind down that spacer just a little bit to get it to fit. No big deal. And you gotta figure that it would take a little bit of wiggling to get everything lined up just right. Because you're putting good solid mounts in place of old worn out ones, which will change the position of the engine in the bay.

I had some additional vibes in mine. But after a day of driving, they subsided quite a bit. Now I don't feel anything at all.

Also, it's a really good idea to also change your tranny mount at the same time. I just used an OEM rubber mount.

Thanks guys...

I had changed out the Tranny mount about 6 months back when I also had to change out the drivers side Motor Mount w/the cr@pp Azone one. I didn't change out the passenger side MM at that time because it was in great shape. Now I've got two great More MM's that I hope to never have to change again.

Thanks for the info on the oil pump pickup location. :)

Back