• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another AX15 lube thread

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
Is the synthetic royal purple lube ok to use in an ax15? It says that it meets gl-4 and gl-5 specs, but im worried about it eating up the syncros. I went to NAPA and auto parts plus, both stores dont carry anything but gl-5 lube. Im thinking that i should have just got some mobile 1 10w-30

btw anyone know the size of the drain plug so i can pickup the right socket?

Last edited:
My first AX-15 crapped out at 40k miles. That was in 2002. I believe part of that was my fault using the wrong lube. Second AX-15 has only had a diet of Redline Synthetic Oil. To this day, the tranny shifts as smooth as warm butter, no vibrations, it does not jump out of gear, etc.

The redline is sold by Summit and other online store. It is worth it to me.

well i ended up just using the royal purple, it seems to shift much better. All i really want to know is if this i going to kill my tranny in the long run or not. I would have gotten the redline but i needed to buy it locally and it wasnt an option. Has anybody out there ran the royal purple and if so how do it work out?

to the guy running reline synthetic, are you running a synthetic gear oil or a synthetic motor oil?

i've heard something about running regular 10w30 in them so i wasn't sure whether you meant 90w or motor oil

Oizarod115 said:
to the guy running reline synthetic, are you running a synthetic gear oil or a synthetic motor oil?

i've heard something about running regular 10w30 in them so i wasn't sure whether you meant 90w or motor oil

I run the gear oil. I have what it is in my office.

Maybe I am old fashion, but I have a problem putting motor oil in a gearbox, unless motor oil is the recommended lube from the OEM.

Pennzoil Synchromesh is rated at gl4 can be had at most advance auto or napa I used it in my tj worked great. My syncros got ate up with the 80w90 gl5. Red Line MTL is another good product got it from www.myoilshop.com

jeep ride said:
Pennzoil Synchromesh is rated at gl4 can be had at most advance auto or napa I used it in my tj worked great. My syncros got ate up with the 80w90 gl5. Red Line MTL is another good product got it from www.myoilshop.com

Regular GL-5 is going to eat up the synchros. That is why it is specifically excluded from use in the AX-15. A GL-3 was originally specificed for the AX-15. But since you can't get it any longer, GL-4 will work. A MUCH better option is a specially designed fluid for manual trannies like Redline MTL or Amsoil Manual Transmission and Transaxle.

Back