• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Seats in a 1994 XJ

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
And the dead horse gets another whack Hasta

I bought some 96 ZJ seats for a smokin deal. I hate the stock "Sport" seats in the XJ. I've researched the crap out of this topic. Lots of info for 96+, only one really helpful topic on my year.

The guy who did it used angle iron to mount the front, and just drilled holes into the floor for the rear. I do not like drilling holes in my floor. Especially for a safety item like seats; I'm probably paranoid but I don't want them to rip out of the floor.

Today I attempted to mount the ZJ seats on the XJ rails. My adapters made of some steel flat stock looked great; but the second I finished, put the seat in and tested it, the flat stock began bending on the right side; the bracket is somewhat offset because of the stupid way that AMC mounted the seat.

Has anyone found a way to tie the ZJ seat rails into the XJ mounting points without having to drill holes in the floor? I'm also limted as I have no welder, no welding skills, and only have basic hand and power tools.

I was looking at using angle iron in the front, tied into the XJ holes, and out to the ZJ rails, and then using a wider piece of flat stock in the rear bolted through the stock XJ holes and out to the ZJ rails, but I feel like this might try to "pull up" under heavy braking.

I've seen the advice to use 96+ XJ rails, but that still leaves the same problems, and I really dont see how they're any different than the ZJ rails I'd be taking out.

I need some advice, before my adapters get to the point where they cost more than the seats!

Thanks.

Was I the guy you were talking about?

WJSeats006.jpg

WJ.jpg

I did this a while back to my 1990 and was very unhappy with the job I did. I was positive I could've devised another way but just wanted them in so I just used angle iron and drilled holes through the floor pans. It held and held fine, but I'm like you, much rather be safe than sorry. I never did the rears, but this is something I'm about to re-explore with my 99 XJ since I'm putting WJ rears in it. From what I've gotten out of red_01_xj though, you do have to drill through metal, there is no way around it.

90PioSport99 said:
i dont mean to hijack but wow your Jeep is awesoe inside. That's a 1990? at first i thought it was like a 98. The newer Door panels/Seats/Center counsel look great. Is that woodgrain trim from a country?

jk333 said:
i dont mean to hijack but wow your Jeep is awesoe inside. That's a 1990? at first i thought it was like a 98. The newer Door panels/Seats/Center counsel look great. Is that woodgrain trim from a country?
Thanks, that was what my 1990 used to look like, now it's gutted getting completely redone inside and out. The pass seat was a WJ and the drivers seat was one of my custom redone ones from www.nwautoleather.com. That is the newer center console and a dash bezel from a 1994 Country.

90PioSport99 said:
Thanks, that was what my 1990 used to look like, now it's gutted getting completely redone inside and out. The pass seat was a WJ and the drivers seat was one of my custom redone ones from www.nwautoleather.com. That is the newer center console and a dash bezel from a 1994 Country.

Yep. You're the one I was referring too. Have you done the drivers side as well with a WJ seat?

I applaud your braveness with the drilling, I guess I'm just a wimp. Have you had any problems with your mounting setup?

IslanderOffRoad said:
Yep. You're the one I was referring too. Have you done the drivers side as well with a WJ seat?

I applaud your braveness with the drilling, I guess I'm just a wimp. Have you had any problems with your mounting setup?
I did both the driver's and passenger's side in my 1990 just not the backseat. I never had any problem with the mounting, one of my holes actually went through a reinforced part of the frame in the front so that made it sturdy. It was the back holes that just went through thin floor pan that worried me, but again, I never had any problem. Here's more pictures...I can't remember if I ever posted them before...
WJSeatsandRoofBraces001.jpg

WJSeatsandRoofBraces002.jpg

WJSeats011.jpg

WJSeats010.jpg

WJSeats009.jpg

WJSeats008.jpg

WJSeats007.jpg

Yeah, I haven't seen those yet. Was the driver side bracket identical or is there anything different to worry about on that side.

I've been looking at other brackets and adapters, and I think the Mastercraft Rubicon adapters MAY work.

Unfortunately I won't be near my ZJ seats for 2 more weeks, so no idea for sure until then.

Back