• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Replacement

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
Since I can't make the search function work at all......

I need to replace both inner and outer tie rods on my 89 XJ (right side). I'm curious to know: how do I do this? Is it possible to do without destroying them?

Most importantly....how do I get the inner TRE off the pitman arm, without destroying the seals in the steering box?

there is a special tool i used when i replaced my bent tie rods on my old jeep it makes the job 20 times easier. one thing to know when you do it is count all the threads on the ends if you dont it will make one of the tires point out and it will squeal when you go get your alignment done...its not to difficult. if your just replacing the ends...count the threads then put the TRE in as many threads as the old ones. then get an alignment.

You might destroy the rubber dust boot, but if the tie rod ends are bad anyway, why worry about hurting them? I use a pickle fork to separate it at the pitman arm, that might not be the correct way, but I havent noticed it to cause any harm to the box. If you're worried about it though, you could always pull the pitman arm off of the steering box, then separate it with a pickle fork.

A two-jawed puller is the least destructive way to separate TREs. Removing the pitman arm would work as far as the steering box is concerned but that is not necessarily a lot of fun depending on what wrenches you have available.

I've got to crawl under my parts rig tonight and check those out. I was hoping I could try and salvage the ones from there for my DD.

I had problems with my old Ranger, kept getting major leaks out the bottom of the steering box. I was told that during removal/installation, the vibrations of the pickle fork on the pitman arm was destroying the seals...hence the leak. Just trying to prevent that problem this time around....

Oh, gotcha, I wasnt aware that you were pulling replacements from another vehicle. The pitman arm can be a pain to get off sometimes, especially if its the first time its been taken off.

Back