• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Protecting the hatch

supsa

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search but didn't find what I'm looking for. I've ripped my hatch off two times so I want to see some kind of protection or a few idea's. My idea is to use a 4in strip of steal and weld it to the body so that it goes over the hatch edge's. What do you think? In the NW are tree's grab everything and the thor guards just don't do it.

You mean something like this?
boom_main.jpg

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjboomerangs.php]/url]

Yep. thats what I'm doin. How did you mount it?

That's a very good idea. I may make a shorter version of those out of steel to just pick up the top 12" or so.

fubar XJ said:
That's a very good idea. I may make a shorter version of those out of steel to just pick up the top 12" or so.

I got some strips of steel if you need them fubar. Hows the tophat?

supsa said:
I got some strips of steel if you need them fubar. Hows the tophat?
It's all good, thanks. I didn't even ride any trees with it at Walker last month. Maybe I need to drive like a reckless idiot to reap the full benefits of it.

But I can definitely see the plusses of having some stiff pieces of 3/16" or 1/4" plate protecting the upper corners of the hatch. The slider bars end about 3" before the fiberglass hatch edge, and I do anticipate some tree-stuffing trails in the XJ's future. I have some steel as well, not sure if I have any 3/16" or 1/4" pieces in an approx. 8" x 12" size, which is what I would cut into an "L" shape to make what I'm thinking of. You have some steel in those dimensions?

No but I have strips that are 4in wide, 4ft long and 1/4" thick. So no L shape but will go over the egdes. And they are the rubicom black. :sunshine:

boom03.jpg

Follow the link under the first pic I posted...the link that I messed up with the ] instead of a [, and now I can't edit it for some reason?? Check out that link.

I don't have them, considered them a while back when I almost destroyed the rear hatch, but have not yet put anything like that on.

Thanks and that ramp do you tow it?

Back