• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

issue when manually shifting AW4

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Soo, I decided to run through the gears tonight on the "new to me" '98 XJ I just bought last week w/the NP-242 and the AW4. It shifted perfect at about redline from 1-2, went to shift into 3rd around 3700 rpm and it revved up to about 5000 before shifting right into 3rd. If I leave it in Overdrive and floor it from a stop it shifts perfectly into every gear, shifting around redline by itself. Was the tranny not ready to shift until redline when manually shifting or....? Daily driving, it shifts fine as well... Any advice would be great...

Thanks in advance guys...

Last edited:
I might add that the fluid looks good and was wondering if the linkage may be off some causing the shift lever to not be fully engaging 3rd?

So when going from 2nd to 3rd when it was 3700rpm in second, when you moved the lever from "1-2" to 3 it revved up to 5000rpm instantly, as in if it was in neutral? Or you kept the foot to the floor and it stayed in that gear till 5000rpm?

BBeach said:
So when going from 2nd to 3rd when it was 3700rpm in second, when you moved the lever from "1-2" to 3 it revved up to 5000rpm instantly, as in if it was in neutral? Or you kept the foot to the floor and it stayed in that gear till 5000rpm?
I kind of let out of it when shifting into 3rd the first time. The second time it was hammer down and it did the same thing. 1-2 fine, 2-3(shift at 3700) and it revved up then shifted. Kinda weird that it does that manually shifting, but left in "D" it shifts perfect everytime...

Remedy: Its a Jeep XJ not a Jaguar XJ, if its shifting fine on its own, leave it be.

This to me sounds like, "If I use my blower dryer to dry my hair, it works really good, but when I try to use it as a toaster, something seems to be wrong with it" :dunce:

haha, Im just kiddin... kinda. Try changing the fluid and filter and make sure the valve body doesnt have any kind of debris stuck in there anywhere. If it doesnt help, at least you can rest at ease knowing that the tranny fluid is fresh.

99XJWhitey said:
Remedy: Its a Jeep XJ not a Jaguar XJ, if its shifting fine on its own, leave it be.

This to me sounds like, "If I use my blower dryer to dry my hair, it works really good, but when I try to use it as a toaster, something seems to be wrong with it" :dunce:

haha, Im just kiddin... kinda. Try changing the fluid and filter and make sure the valve body doesnt have any kind of debris stuck in there anywhere. If it doesnt help, at least you can rest at ease knowing that the tranny fluid is fresh.

I hear ya. I just got it and am kinda testing and feeling everything out. Already changed the tranny fluid, transfer case fluid, and the diffs.

The AW4 doesn't have true manual shift mode. The "manual" shift gates are there solely for the purpose of holding a lower gear when towing, climbing/descending hills etc. You have no control over when it upshifts except to say when it can't. Floor it with the shifter in 3rd at 45 and it will still drop down to second. In other words, your transmission is functioning exactly as designed and there is nothing wrong. :)

Back