• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Key Crank

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
Both the 2 xj's I have had have been able to be cranked without a key. I just have to move it out of "locked" and I can crank it all day sans-key. Is this common or have I just come across two broken ignitions?

--Alex

if they are the older ones it is like pre 93 or somethin whenever they came out with the one key for everything is when i think it stoped im not sure my old one used to it was a 90 one of my friends does it and his is an 88 my new 89 dont do it though.

My late 91 does it. I like it because I can leave it running and pull the keys out to get in my house.

*edit* BTW, I also have the one two sided key that works on all doors, ignition, glove box and rear hatch.

Mine are a 1989 and 1990. I found this out in highschool with XJ #1 when I pulled up to Wal-Mart real fast and did a quick twist and pull to get the key out and turn off the car. I forgot the twist and just pulled, the engine continues to run and ( during my know-nothing era) I thought I had messed something up. Alot of people are amazed I can crank my Jeep with no key. I have a large climbing caribiner and I normally just put my keys over the gear shift.

--Alex

Back