• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting d-plate

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
anyone got any tricks to cut aluminum d-plate? dont want to use a torch. got a 3" air cutter. or should i get a 4" cutting disk for the angle grinder?

do you live near any metal machine shops, if so draw using permanent marker your cuts and ask them, if you don't have that kind of access i would use the die grinder, but i'd also be carefull of a 4" disc, the shatter easily

I bought a 4.5" electric die grinder, and that thing is a beast compared to the little 3" air cutoff tool we had. If you're going to be cutting a lot I would probably go for the bigger cut off wheel, and electric, unless you have a really nice compressor setup for air.

well then again i was running an IR die grinder off a few thousand pound air compressor w/ no regulator. However i would still not recommend using a huge wheel, i have a five inch long scar underneath my ear from a wheel shattering in half b/c of too much pressure to mass

if you can find someone with a plasma cutter, USE IT!!! it's the best way to get precice cuts.

For streight cuts I have always used a table saw, aluminum is a soft metal and a carbide tiped blade works well. Just a slow steady feed speed. For furves I use either a jig saw or a die grinder depending on the situation.

Plasma cutter is a very clean cut. Second choice is a jig saw and thrird choice would be a cut off wheel on a die grinder. I used the plasma cutter on my diamond plate aluminum.

Last edited:
dont have anyway to get in touch with a plasma cutter. i wish i did. skill saw doesnt sound bad, i'd have to change blades.

userbmx1315 said:
dont have anyway to get in touch with a plasma cutter. i wish i did. skill saw doesnt sound bad, i'd have to change blades.
If you are only doing straight cuts an old worn out 14" chop saw blade in a skill saw will be great. I think they make those blades small enough to use in a 7" skill saw too, just never used one myself.

mikeforte said:
If you are only doing straight cuts an old worn out 14" chop saw blade in a skill saw will be great. I think they make those blades small enough to use in a 7" skill saw too, just never used one myself.

If you are referring to an abrasive blade, then this is bad advise. Abrasive blades, like the one on your chop saw, are for ferrous metals only.

Go with the carbide tipped suggestion.

If you go with a skill or jig saw dont forget to use cutting wax=jigsaw or
A-9 cutting fluid for skill saw, if you can't find A-9 a thin light cutting oil will work fine, will smoke a little but will keep the blade from cloging up.

HTeK said:
If you are referring to an abrasive blade, then this is bad advise. Abrasive blades, like the one on your chop saw, are for ferrous metals only.

Go with the carbide tipped suggestion.

x2

even the regular disks in my angle grinder or cut off wheels never worked whell on aluminum, they would heat up and get all gummed up form teh aluminum.

Back