• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack Question

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of 3.5" rear leafs already. I want to make a bastard pack out of them to get to around 4.5" and make them a little stiffer to handle the extra weight of tools, spare parts and passengers. Can I use stock XJ leafs to make them with? I ask because I have two parts Jeeps with stock leafs so it wouldn't cost me anything but time. Has anyone done this before successfully? Thanks.

if your jeep doesnt have a shackle then get one. it'll give you an inch of lift depending on which one you buy, look up $11 bastard pack

So, afer reading the $11 bastard pack thread, it looks like stock XJ leafs won't work because they don't have enough arch. Does this soud right? Should I just get some JY leafs from a SUA truck? I really would like to use the ones I already have if it will work and last. I was hoping I could just add a leaf or two from the stock leaf springs. Anyone else with some first hand info/experience on this?

i used a set of s-10 blazer spring with my main xj leaf, it rode rough so i took one out and it rides better, (not like i want but better). the leaves with a RC shackle put me at 5.5-6" of lift in the rear, before i removed the one leaf., think i'm right at 5.5 of lift now

i was reading a post on there i think goatman had, but a flatter spring with more lift gives the best flex, (if i said that right)

Tommy4949 said:
I have a set of 3.5" rear leafs already. I want to make a bastard pack out of them to get to around 4.5" and make them a little stiffer to handle the extra weight of tools, spare parts and passengers. Can I use stock XJ leafs to make them with? I ask because I have two parts Jeeps with stock leafs so it wouldn't cost me anything but time. Has anyone done this before successfully? Thanks.

I made mine out of 2 sets of stock XJ springs. Using all of the second set but the shortest, I got 3.5" Of course .75" of that was the stacked height of the springs themselves. Rides real nice. Haven't tested flex yet.

userbmx1315 said:
i was reading a post on there i think goatman had, but a flatter spring with more lift gives the best flex, (if i said that right)

that sounds right. hence why so many people like to run 63" chevy leafs. and by so many people i mean so many people that have room to in other types of 4x4's

Seems to me if you already have 3" rears, you'd want the extra leafs to have equal or greater arch to them unless you put them on the bottom. I would think flatter springs put in the middle of the pack would flatten out the lift. Yes/No?

I am having the same dilema now, I have 4.5 inch spring packs and a 2 inch shackle, but with my durango 4x4 bumper being so heavy it has caused the lift to be less then 4.5 inches.

So can I add a stock xj main leaf to my pack to make it stronger? or will this not do anything?

-Alex

that would help. rule of thumb-longer leaf flexes better, short leaf is stiffer... so a main leaf would do well to get you back up to 6 or so, but you might need more than just a main... you might need to bastard pack it.

I (and several others around these boards) have run some very odd assortments of leaves to make "bastard packs". In order to provide additional "support" or weight carrying capability you want to add longer leaves (maybe cut down main leaves? or at least the longer leaves in a pack). If you add leaves to a pack that are flatter (like a stock pack) they will add support and extra height but not as much as a more arched (like a AAL) would.

If it were me, I would try taking the longest two leaves in your stock pack (cut down main and the 1 right below it) and add them to your current pack and see how it works for you. Often you might have to fine tune your pack by adding or subtracting other leaves or adjusting with shackles to get just the right amount of load capability and flex that you want.

Michael

2xtreme said:
If it were me, I would try taking the longest two leaves in your stock pack (cut down main and the 1 right below it) and add them to your current pack and see how it works for you.
Other than the thickness of the springs, about how much lift might it add?

Back