• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock replacement time. . .

ZomBrady

Chubby Chaser Extraordinaire
NAXJA Member
Well one of my Bilstein 5100's blew out, so I guess I'm in the market for a new set of front shocks.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

I have RE mono Tubes and like them

Hey Brady

Dunnno if you eyeballed my front shocks but I'm running 7100's and I'm in love with them. They are more expensive than 5150's but they are rebuildable

Learn how to drive and adjust bumpstops accordingly....

Bilsteins kick butt....so do FOX, FOA, and of course KING for the ballers!

karstic said:
Learn how to drive and adjust bumpstops accordingly....

hmmm. . . that's great advice. Thank you very much and I will take into consideration when I choose my next set of shocks.

Well My issue with most all real shocks is the fact that they only come in a eye/eye mounting. Mix that with the fact that a control arm front end which the XJ/TJ has, needing a long travel shock to get the most benifits and your kinda limited.

Yes you can do what alot of people do and get a shock adapter for the top like most do, but they you have to run a 2" shorter shock then what is ideal. If you decide on a Bilstein 7100, at least you can get a short body version and almost break even. My only issue there was the resevoir outlet / valve location. On my application (not typ to XJ) that would have been in a bad location no matter how I spun the shock. But the typ XJ seems to be ok with that setup.

All the other shock manufactures out there, by the time you add a shock adapter on top to convert to eye upper mounting, you really are doing your front travel a injustice.

In my case I called Bilstein direct and their tech guy for Jeep's and short WB veh, came up with a shock they sell just for the TJ/XJ in a long arm application, that had the Exact ext and col lengths and perfect valving out of the box, and best part was the upper stud mounting. I dont know what your looking for in col/ext but for me and about 5-6" of longer distance between mounts then stock, thier 5-6" lift version for that application seems to be great!

I have ran the Edelbrock ext res, and the rancho 9000 both on this same set up and both have crapped out over the span of less then few hundred miles and 4-5 trail trips, given I do abuse them I think. These after calico bottomed once or twice where as the others were so loose (even the 9000's on the highest setting) that they would hit the stops/full compress regularly.

I would recommend the EVS shock bumps if nothing else also. I was very pleased so see that the shocks I got had not only the stud upper mount but that the bushing retainer was made to slide on and off and when I pulled the shocks out of the box the upper mount was nothing more then a shock shaft and threaded stud. I just slid the bumps on the shaft then the retainer washer then bushing and mounted them.

THe number I got was valved at like 255/75 out of the box - F4-BE5-A940-H5. I do know that kartek has them locally and No one else did. I got Overly lucky and found a guy that was selling that exact number on craiglist for 100$ pr new. Typ they are 89ea.

Good luck with what ever you decide, bit for me I think this shock is one of the best a TJ or XJ can run in the front that doesnt go Long periods of cycling (true prerunning), due to travel and mounts, if it fits your lift and col/ext lengths.

ROBERTK said:
Well My issue with most all real shocks is the fact that they only come in a eye/eye mounting.

All the other shock manufactures out there, by the time you add a shock adapter on top to convert to eye upper mounting, you really are doing your front travel a injustice.

In my case I called Bilstein direct and their tech guy for Jeep's and short WB veh, came up with a shock they sell just for the TJ/XJ in a long arm application, that had the Exact ext and col lengths and perfect valving out of the box, and best part was the upper stud mounting.

THe number I got was valved at like 255/75 out of the box
I did the same thing with the same thinking. Now I wish I had these :http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945071&highlight=king+shocks

Stumpalump said:
I did the same thing with the same thinking. Now I wish I had these :http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945071&highlight=king+shocks

Why is all I have to say?? If you are going to use those for what they are good for then you dont have the stock upper (or lower for that matter) so I guess I see why now. But any XJ that has the stock upper mounts, those not only are on the average 2" longer for the same travel but you also have to run a 1-2" shock apapter. On my application that shock in the same 11.5" travel with the adapter, I would be lucky to get 2" of up travel from them. SO then I would have to go down to a 10" or less travel to get any decent up travel. and then you limit your down travel.

But I guess if you really think your jeep is set up for full cycling of the front shocks for very long periods of time, then have at it. But 99% of the XJ's out there will never need a shock like that and would do much better with something alot less 'bling'.

Oh and you have the exact same shock? with the EVS bump? you dont like them?

ROBERTK said:
Why is all I have to say?? If you are going to use those for what they are good for then you dont have the stock upper (or lower for that matter) so I guess I see why now. But any XJ that has the stock upper mounts, those not only are on the average 2" longer for the same travel but you also have to run a 1-2" shock apapter. On my application that shock in the same 11.5" travel with the adapter, I would be lucky to get 2" of up travel from them. SO then I would have to go down to a 10" or less travel to get any decent up travel. and then you limit your down travel.

But I guess if you really think your jeep is set up for full cycling of the front shocks for very long periods of time, then have at it. But 99% of the XJ's out there will never need a shock like that and would do much better with something alot less 'bling'.

Oh and you have the exact same shock? with the EVS bump? you dont like them?
Dude ease up on the Java liquid! I agree with you on your reasoning for your shock choice and I did the same thing. Do I like it? Hell yea for the reasons you gave. I guess I was saying that if you want better than that then go full race setup. The pin adapters are available from your Bilstein dealer but the top can't be unscrewed on all of their shock lines. Like you said measure then call Bilstein for a great setup. Don't make the top too tight because it has to move quite a bit as the axel cycles and is the reason some people will give up some travel for the ease of shock movement. I'd rather have the extra travel and change bushings in a few years.

Fox also makes a TJ specific 2.0 res. shock with the stock mounts and urithane pump stops for the same price as the Bilstien 7100's. I just installed these on the XJ and they are amazing, ride is great both on and off road. Much better than the 5150's they replaced.

flex.jpg
[/IMG]

Legnth is good too!!!

Back