• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird stall on cold start

dirt machine

NAXJA Forum User
Everything works fine unless it is a cold start, like after sitting overnight. Try to start and idle is too low so it dies.

Took apart throttle body and cleaned out everything, including IAC.

Still, problem persists. Furthermore, once I get it running fine, or just put it into drive and start driving a bit, problem is solved.

I can start it and turn it off all day long with absolutely no problems whatsoever. This is only on a cold start.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

Finally, I have a large EVAP system leak which I am going to fix soon (leaking Leak Detector Pump of all things) so I am not sure if this could be related. Thanks again!

I have the same exact problem, If I start my car I have to keep on the gas and even if I do that for 5 minutes it stilll stalls out, but then if I pull outa my driveway and drive it around the block then its fine???

thats what I thought would happen for me but it doesn't I have do drive it around the block and its fine. But what I don't get is that I have to keep it on the gas when im sitting in my drive way but mine is a 5 speed, so when I shift gears I have to let off of the gas but even then it doesn't shut down its really weird.

I was sorta hoping that by continuing to post, someone else would chime in with something to the effect of: "Oh yeah, that's just the fuel pressure regulator" or something like that...

Search it works
Cold starts....
TPS* CPS* 02 sensor and so on............
I think both of you are the same person?
I think thats why no one has posted anything?
I might be wrong.

On jeep forum I was led to 2 possibilities:

1: Temperature sensor on the thermostat housing gone bad.

2: 00-01 Xjs have a TSB on the PCM for rough cold starts. Mine is an 01 so this might be it.

Good luck Zach!

You're on the right track. There are a few things that can cause problems from a cold start. Bosch platinum +4 plugs have done it for me.

Not the oxy sensor though, the engine is running in a "warmup mode" until it reaches operating temp (or at least that is what I read on the interweb.)

moist Distributor cap, clogged injector, are possibilities.

Back