• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another door handle question

Raistlinalpha

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched the threads and cannot find an answer to my particular question.
The two rear door handles will not unlatch the door mechanism. I have taken the door completely apart (Broke the bolts to the exterior handle thanks to rust) and discovered that when the rod from the exterior handle is pressed, it needs to travel an 1/8 of an inch more to trip the mechanism. This is happening on both rear doors. I have taken everything apart and lubed, reassembled and it is still happening. I was hoping for some kind adjustability, but there doesn't seem to be any besides making and putting a new rod in that is a little bit longer.

Any suggestions or has any dealt with this little issue?

I read somewhere that it is adjustable by loosening a nut or something like that and making the throw longer. Hopefully whoever wrote that will see your thread and reply.

In the end of the door near the latch opening is an elongated hole with an allen head screw inside, this will adjust the latch. I also seen these screws fall out so you may need to put some new ones in.

Jeff gave you the right scoop. Pop the door panel off get access to the door latch. I've found it easier to pull the whole latch out, clean,lubricate and adjust the linkage at the same time. What your actally adjusting is the actuating lever the linkage rod attaches to. The allen headed set screw comes loose, the linkage slips, and thus you don't have enough "throw" to activate the latch.

Back