• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rigid Co Rear Bumper

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
So my rear bumper and swing-away tire carrier is on its way. I can't wait til it gets here.

I have searched, but I am not finding exactly what I am looking for. So my question is...

What kind of paint should I use? I don't want to powdercoat because if it chips I don't want to pay to get it done again. I don't want to use bedliner because I would like it to look like my ARB front bumper.

Also I will be doing a couple of coats for it, and I would like to clear coat it so that is has some sheen to it. Any suggestions?

Use Self Etching bare metal primer and then use what ever paint you like. i used rustolemum gloss black so it can be easily touched up. Looks great after one year and a hard winter.

i did 4 light coats of final coat, you only need about 2 to 3 light coats of the self etching primer.

Then use a clear coat if you choose but make sure the brand and type of paint match fro the final color and clear.

I have been looking all over for a picture of this tirecarrier. Searched and Searched with no results. Rigid Co doesnt even have a picture posted on they're website. Atleast not on www.rigidco.com, does anyone have pictures of this rear tire carrier set-up?

96XJ Country said:
RustOleum Hammerd
X2

Just finished my Rock Lizard front bumper. It came primed from Marty, but I shot a coat of grey on it. Then 3 coats of Rustoluem Hammered Black, waiting at least 24 hours between each coat. I think it looks great, more a dark grey than black to me, with a textured (hammered) look.

I have the same bumper, Putting it on tomorrow Morning.

I went with rustoleum HIGH PERFORMANCE ...Its industrial type in TALL Silver cans. I would have liked to go with SATIN Black but they only had GLOSS or FLAT. I got the Gloss. I used Rustoleum Automotive Primer for the the base coats. I put a few coats of the High Performance on top.

I'll have to see how it holds up. It was kinda cold in my garage while Painting which isnt great. So I'll wait to see what happens.

Satin was what I was hoping for. I will be buying the paint tonight and getting some primer on the bumper tonight. Hopefully I can finish painting tomorrow, maybe next day.

Then get it mounted up and some pics for ya if I can.

Thanks for the advice.

I am sorry to do this. But I have searched and searched.

Can someone give me the link for the write-up for cutting the rear quarters. My bumper is here and I need to do it, and I want to do it right.

Thanks!

Back