• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idle and mpg problems

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i've recently replaced every sensor on my xj(88' 4.0 5speed) and replaced the idle control valve. it has always idled really high(1300rpm) so after replacing the ICV and adjuting the TPS i still had high idle(its not so bad after a cold start but once it warms up for a while it idles high(no vac leaks) so i adjusted the throttle return screw to lower the idle. then i adjusted the TPS again. seems fine now, i have it idling around 600rpm. but when its running and i cover the throttle body with my hand to block off air it dies. shouldn't the idle control valve let more air in to bypass the butterfly and stay idling???? and when i unplug the vac line from the map sensor to creat a vac leak it kinda starts to die but then the Idle control valve opens up and keeps it idling. also, would a high idle(1300rpm) give me really bad gas mileage? like 11mpg. cause thats what i've been getting and i hope that i can contribute it to the high idle or else i don't know what else could be causing this? i know that this post is full of a lot of questions but i really appreciate the help guys,

also, what is normal operating temperature? i have heard people say 210 but that seems high to me. and also i live in canada so i'm not sure if my gauge will read in celcius or ferenheight?

The IAC does not take in air from a secondary inlet. That means if you block off the only hole the engine is sucking air in from (the throttle body) the engine will die.

I had similar symptoms to yours in my 91. I can't remember what the part was called, but it was a vacuum operated valve attached to the fuel rail. Turns out the value was not closing all the way. I took the line off and squirted WD-40 into the valve. it must have freed up something cause the engine ran great for a long time after that.

I’ve also heard of the o-ring seal going bad on that valve allowing access fuel to leak past. I don’t really understand why that would matter as the O2 sensor should aver ride this problem at idle…but I’m no mechanic.

210 is the correct operating temperature. if it doesn't get hot enough, you will get crap mileage.

when you say "adjusted" the TPS, are you measuring the contact voltages down at the ECU or are you just guessing?

there's no reason to ever dick with any screws on the throttle body unless it's worn out.

there's some good info here http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

as far as getting better fuel economy, make sure you're running a 195 degree thermostat. so many people run 180s and I don't know why. it's just plain wrong!

CheapXJ said:
210 is the correct operating temperature. if it doesn't get hot enough, you will get crap mileage.

when you say "adjusted" the TPS, are you measuring the contact voltages down at the ECU or are you just guessing?

there's no reason to ever dick with any screws on the throttle body unless it's worn out.

there's some good info here http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

as far as getting better fuel economy, make sure you're running a 195 degree thermostat. so many people run 180s and I don't know why. it's just plain wrong!

Where do you get this 210 from? Never mind, rhetorical question, I already know the answer...have you ever tried a 180 F thermostat?

What year is your jeep?

I don't have first hand thermostat experience with the 91 and newer jeeps, but my experieince says a 180 F thermostat is best in warmer climates for the renix, 87-90 years. 195 F T-stat might be useful in Canada on a Renix.

IMHO a properly working, new cooling system with a 195 F thermostat should hold 195 F, not 210, unless there is additional heat load beyond the cooling systems normal operating design capacity, in which case the temperature may rise until the secondary electric cooling fan cuts in, in which case the temperature may cycle a bit... of course the location of the Gauge Temp sensor versus the thermostat can show a temperature differential, if located in a remote area. This comes into play in our discussion since the older jeeps have a Temp sensor in the rear of the head, while the newer(est) XJ's have a single sensor in the thermostat head.

Now for the so called crap mileage, I feel like the lone ranger here on this. I have run a 160 F thermostat on my Renix 87, 4.0 L, 4x4, with no problem for 2.5 years. I am currently running a 180 F thermosat, but only to help with keeping warm on the cold morning start ups. Now that I have a properly working and calibrated TPS, properly working new O2 sensor, good working ground wires, and a solid new parts tune up, I am getting a solid 20 mpg highway with a 180 F thermosat. I run the cooler thermostats because heat is our enemy down here, Houston during the summer. In the summer we see 100 F ambient, 100% humidity, and it loads bageebers out of the AC and cooling system, so a 195 F thermostat is overkill for us.

On the D*cking with the throttle body screws, some of us have inherited throttle bodys that POs adjusted (D*cked with as you put it) and so after exhausting all other possibilities via vacuum leak repairs, calibrations, etc, , some of us have had to d*ck with ours to get them set back to OEM settings. :D

Mitsumotors,

Yes, a high idle will hurt mileage. So will a bad O2 sensor or bad O2 sensor wiring. So will a bad TPS if the TCU side is out of wack, as I discovered.

The idle increasing as the engine warms up is a dead give away that you probably have an intake manifold leak somewhere that increases as the engine warms up. Any vacuum leaks in the valve cover, CCV vacuum lines, other vacuum haoses, the intake manifold, will cause a high idle. I also discovered that as the engine warms up, a dirty, loose engine ground wire on the block will change ground resistance, thus changing the TPS idle voltage, thus making the ECU think there is a foot on the gas pedel, thus raising the idle!!! So pull and clean all those engine block and head, firewall, and battery grounds!!!! 87-90 renix jeeps are notorious for ground problems causing high idles, or worse.

On the MAP sensor pulling the vac line, it is the vacuum that is changing, the IAC is already probably already closed to it's lower limit, so the ECU gets confused by the additional air, and incorect MAP sensor data (since you just unpluged it, telling it the MAP is now ambient, and not 18 inches of vacuum, so in essence you have lied to the ECU since the engine vac is 18 inches and not 0, which makes it run rough, too lean at first, until the ECU figures out the MAP is giving it bad data!!!!

John Mitchell,

That valve is the fuel regulator. If the fuel regulator diaphram starts leaking you get unmetered raw fuel into the intake manifold, and you may get poorly controlled fuel pressure, too high or too low, that adds to the engine control and MPG problem.

palmettobackwoods said:
well if you have replaced every sensor, is your timing right?

Except for the timing chain, gears, cam and valves, the 88 fuel injection and ignition timing is computer controlled, and the computer timing is based on the sensor inputs.

yeah, i adjusted the TPS properly by checking the input and output voltages. I had to re-adjust the throttle screw because someone else before me had messed with it. the only problem with timing i can see that i could possibly have is that i have checked my compression and it is good. but i still have little to no power. engine is very tired, so i figure the cam lobes must be warn, i don't know if that would affect timing?? and yes i'am running a 180* thermostat but will be changing it today. after adjusting my idle the other day i am now getting about 15mpg. so better but not perfect.

yeah, i put a 195* thermostat in today but am still only reaching about 185* and it takes about 20-30 minutes of driving to get there. i noticed that when i started my jeep cold the fan kicked in right away. is that normal?

mitsumotors said:
just stock, its the fan running off the serpintine belt
Well,

If it had AC it would have two fans. One...the one you have on the right side and an electric on the left.

Since you only have the one, I would say your fan clutch has probably frozen up. It shouldn't run at all till it gets hot.

DrMoab said:
Well,

If it had AC it would have two fans. One...the one you have on the right side and an electric on the left.

Since you only have the one, I would say your fan clutch has probably frozen up. It shouldn't run at all till it gets hot.

I disagree, the mecahnical fan always turns (while the engine is running at least), it just speeds up and slows down with engine rpm changes and with radiator temperature. As the radiator heats up the clutch moves towards direct drive, less slippage and it slips more as the engine rpm increases.

Have you tested the O2 sensor? If it is not working properly, it will kill mpgs and will make the engine run cooler (because it runs richer).

What is your ambient temperature?

I currently have a 180 F thermostat (87 Renix Jeep), and mine runs from 165 F to 195 F, with ambient between 45 F and 80 F. I am geting 20 mpg highway, and 15.5 average for mixed city/highway driving.

Go back and recheck the TPS on the TCU side. Check the ground, it should be less than 1 ohm to the battery ground with the power off. Also check for 83% at idle to 17% at WOT of the input voltage, on the output wire of the TPS on the TCU side (square connector), power on, engine off. If it is off, it can cause early shifting and severly hurt your mileag and it will make the engine run cooler too.

Lastly, have you verified the actual engine coolant temperature with a $10 infrared gauge??? Harbour freight has them on sale frequently for less than a six pack.

Back