• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hybrid xj idea

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i have a great idea for a huge i was thinking about tying off a horse to my xj, then with the horse pulling the xj i wouldnt need gasoline at all then instead of miles to the gallon i could have miles to the hay bale, or carrots, or beer, if the horse runs off of beer that is. maybe its just me, but horse drawn veichles arent just a thing of the past but a thing of the future...ok im trying to be funny. but seriously, i was thinking about running a lockright in my disco 89 dana 30. with 31's. i carry spare shafts now open, are the disco shaft u joints really that weak?

lol...

they're 260s, unless you get YJ disco shafts which are the beefier 297s.

Just FYI, I ran a lockrite in my non-disco D30 with 260s. I had the u-joints in there for a little while, they were still pretty solid though (no play).

First wheeling trip out nothing broke, but I got back and there was HUGE amounts of play in both sides.

I'd do 297s just for piece of mind.

i say inject the horse with crack cocaine every time he takes you where you need to go.....

then the horse will be having withdrawals if he doesn't take you as many places as possible.

An with crack being cheaper than gas these days, i think its feasible.

blondejoncherokee said:
i have a great idea for a huge i was thinking about tying off a horse to my xj, then with the horse pulling the xj i wouldnt need gasoline at all then instead of miles to the gallon i could have miles to the hay bale, or carrots, or beer, if the horse runs off of beer that is. maybe its just me, but horse drawn veichles arent just a thing of the past but a thing of the future...

MoparManiac said:
lol...

they're 260s, unless you get YJ disco shafts which are the beefier 297s.

Just FYI, I ran a lockrite in my non-disco D30 with 260s. I had the u-joints in there for a little while, they were still pretty solid though (no play).

First wheeling trip out nothing broke, but I got back and there was HUGE amounts of play in both sides.

I'd do 297s just for piece of mind.
I've got a 89 yj front end I picked up for part's. Am I understanding you right when you say the axle joint's in the yj front is bigger than my xj joint's?

no

1994 to 95 YJ's have 297 joints. perhaps even 93's. but not yours.

Wow, time sure does fly, it's April frirst already. ;)

When I'm more than a 45 minute walk to cell phone reception, I strap my bike to the top of the Jeep. Thankfully, we have miles of trails, minutes from town.

yah, ive been thinking about the 95 wrangler shafts for a while now. i think maybe ill wait to lock the 30 then and maybe lock the 44 first just cuz i think itd handle the abuse alot better. its just that i got the 30 lockright for free outta a yard so i really really want to use it! and now! but yah, i should wait for shafts. too bad they dont make aftermarket disco shafts huh?

oh wait heres my one saving grace possibly, i pulled a posi lok outta the same jeep, so i was thinking i could dissengage the pass shaft when turning in 4, thatd take a little abuse off of the shafts i figd. awh, yah i need the wrangler shafts. anybody got any. none of the picnpulls around here have wranglers...only real jeep yards that charge alot

Back