• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Clunking(not typical)

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
So i've dealt with front end clunks and clanks before, and can usually track them down, but this time, I'm at a loss.

Here's the specs on my XJ's d30 that I just swapped in last weekend:
  • New Spicer Ball Joints, uppers and lowers
  • New SKS unit bearings
  • Relatively new u-joints in the axle shafts(they're fine)
  • Used 4.10 R&P w/ open carrier and complete rebuild kit professionally installed
  • JKS adjustable track bar
  • JCR 1-ton steering w/ no stabilizer.
  • Used 5.5" RE Coils
  • Brand new Rough Country shocks(they're the proper length)
  • Rock Krawler 3-link

So it drives very nice, with no vibes or anything from the front end. Everything is torqued down nice and tight. The inner track bar hole is wallowed out, but the bolt is cranked down enough that it doesn't move, so that's out. The knuckles are definitely sitting tight on the ball joints, there's no vertical play at all in them. All 3 control arms are torqued down nice and tight.

The steering was installed less than a year ago, and all the joints are tight. The trackbar johnny joint was rebuilt 6 months ago and is tight, as is the axle end bushing. One of the control arm joints was taken apart and regreased when we did the axle swap, and the rest were taken apart and greased individually in Sept..

Honestly, it sounds like loose shock mounts. In fact, it sounds exactly like the shock bolts are loose, but they are not. The clunking doesn't come when turning, only when going over bumps, and from both sides.

This noise didn't arrive until I did the axle swap. I've taken the front end apart 2 times since I installed the axle 5 days ago, and just can not find anything loose.

So what do you think it could be?

My next idea is to pull the shocks and go for a ride and see if that eliminates the noise, but I'd seriously doubt it, and I'm out of ideas. My thinking for this is that these shocks were intended for the rear of an XJ, and i guess they may be unhappy with the added weight of the front end.

control arm bushings? I think that's what mine is.....

tayman said:
control arm bushings? I think that's what mine is.....

They're RK Krawler Joints, and they're fine. Just took them apart in Sept. and greased them up real good, and took one of the 2 axle end ones apart when I swapped in the axle.

hmm..... well, so much for my ideas!!!

:rolleyes: I tried....

Have you looked at the upper track bar mount where it meets the "frame" I had what sounds like the same issue and looked at EVERYTHING ( or so I thought,) everything felt/looked tight until I changed my rear main and noticed that when I drooped the front axle I had some room where there shouldn't be. Good luck on your search!

grizz78 said:
Have you looked at the upper track bar mount where it meets the "frame" I had what sounds like the same issue and looked at EVERYTHING ( or so I thought,) everything felt/looked tight until I changed my rear main and noticed that when I drooped the front axle I had some room where there shouldn't be. Good luck on your search!
X2
I had a pop/clunk I couldn't pinpoint. I had a Rusty's TB and mount, so that was my first suspect. Well, I had a stock mount and a Full Traction TB lying around so I tried that. It didn't fix the noise, but it changed a little and I noticed some play in the TRE. Since that was temporary, I built a new TB mount with a frame brace, and a TB with new bushings...No more clunking!
In the end, I don't know if it was the mount, or a joint. Everything "felt" tight, but it only takes a tiny bit of movement to make a lot of noise!

Other than that, I don't suppose your disconnects are making the noise? Depending on what kind you have, some of them clunk a little.

Not sure what his was, but mine turned out to be motor mounts. if you haven't checked those, I'll bet that's your problem.

I am in the exact same boat. It really sound like the shocks but I have torqed them up and used large washers to shrink the shock tower hole. How are your coil spring retainers?
There were the only thing I could fine loose so I welded them in. I am at loss in finding this damn noise.

did you ever figure out what was causing the clunking? i am having the same problem. i have replaced everything.

you replaced everything? did you just replace or did you upgrade parts? sorry, but it seems senseless to just replace.

how about some specs on your xj???

stock steering? what lift and components?

when does it clank/clunk? what speed? over bumps or when turning? going straight?

The jam nuts tight on the arms? I chased a very similiar problem after I swapped in my rk 3-link,turned out the jam nuts were snug but not tight.

Running a sway bar? The clunking on my 01 was the sway bar bushings at the frame.

Same here. When I bought my O1 it clunked like mad when turning or going over bumps. I had about 1/8" of play in the sway bar bushings at the frame.

Try to eliminate the parts by removing them. Remove the sway bar and drive. Remove the shocks and drive. Remove the axle and drive....oh wait, you can't do that. :roll:

Also check the rear shocks. When I installed my 4.5" LA kit, I had to shim the rear axle for the SYE and this tilted the shock mounts on the axle, causing the washer in front of the nut to hit the shock and make a clunk/bang noise that felt like it was right below me.

Well when I got home today I found my problem. Was the sway bar it was not centered and the head of the bolt for my dosconnect was rubbing my frame and the swaybar itself was hitting the rounded bolt that goes through the frame for my tow hook brackets. Couple whacks with a hammer to center the sway bar and I am back in business.

I suggest you check for the same problem.

Back