• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning on doing a Grand Cherokee rear disc upgrade.....tips

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Any tips trick or recomendations guys....planning on doing the ZJ grand cherokee rear disc upgrade!

thanks in advance.

Leep said:
Yeah, Get TED to help...

Sureeee, I already know you are going to help me wrench on it....just looking for links to tips on how to get it done...

tcm glx said:
Any tips trick or recomendations guys....planning on doing the ZJ grand cherokee rear disc upgrade!

Yeah... Post up in the Mod forum... Then read through the replies that say "search"... Then read the replies that say, "my stock brakes are fine".. and "you should be ok"...

:rof:

E

if you are doing ZJ discs on your XJ:
- you can use KJ eBrake cables on both sides. They are a little longer than XJ ones but they hook right up to the ebrake levers.
- use a grinder / dremel to bore out the ZJ backing plates. This process takes the longest but do a 1/16 or so and keep checking for fitment on the axle tubes.
- its recommended to get longer studs for the axle tube flange to the backing plates.
- caliper bleeders always go on top :) yep some ppl actually put the wrong sides on.

djblade311 said:
if you are doing ZJ discs on your XJ:
- you can use KJ eBrake cables on both sides. They are a little longer than XJ ones but they hook right up to the ebrake levers.
I was lazy and now have no Ebrake for now.
djblade311 said:
- use a grinder / dremel to bore out the ZJ backing plates. This process takes the longest but do a 1/16 or so and keep checking for fitment on the axle tubes.
Piece of cake here. Have no fear.
djblade311 said:
- its recommended to get longer studs for the axle tube flange to the backing plates.
I'm not sure about this mine seemed fine but LONGER WHEEL STUDS. Do this. My American racing alum wheels (thicker than your centerlines) only allowed 2 full turns and because of this 2 lug nuts stipped. Pucker factor was high on the ride out to Napa to get longer studs. Napa guy was cool, helped me find a stud with longer overall length and slightly larger shoulder knurl. He only had 8 in stock at the time, so now I have 8 on the vehicle and 2 in the cup holder because I didn't get to put them on before I left.
djblade311 said:
- caliper bleeders always go on top :) yep some ppl actually put the wrong sides on.
This is an easy job... you will be fine. I did it on the cheap and used the Junkyard rotors, turned them and the P brake drum surface, and they were near the min thickness but fine.

One thing I did, and I don't know why, I took the Rear brake line off the ZJ, for some reason I thought it would be easier than bending the lines of the XJ up at the ends... It looked like it matched exactly, but it took me 30 minutes to massage all the bends to match all the curves of my 8.25 and leaves. Don't do this. It was pointless.

... and as always be safe.

Back