• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmissions 4.0 L vs 2.5L

techshooter02

NAXJA Forum User
Orig stock did a 1984 cherokee with 2.5L motor come with a 5 speed manual
if not what would year manual 5 speed would bolt up to the 1984 2.5L?

also would this same transmission (5 speed manual) bolt up to a 4.0L motor?

would a 6 speed wrangler transmission bolt to a 2.5L and ALL 4.0L engines?

Putting the AX-5 behind a 4.0L is not worth it at all so don't do it. I don't think anyone has because it is a step backwards from what came behind than motor.

The AX-5 came behind the 2.5L but if you are looking for a 5 speed to put behind the 2.5L then use the AX-15 which came behind the 4.0L and it a much stronger transmission. All you need to know about this swap (it takes some bastardizing but it is all readily available from the parts store) reference this thread from pirate 4x4 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361&highlight=ax5+ax15 I am going to do this swap when my AX-5 blows up. As for the new Wrangler 6 speed I have no idea but the AX-15 is a tried and true transmission and would be a fine upgrade for the 2.5L.

2.5 and 4.0 had different bellhousings, I beleive.
I think thats the main out side differance.

2.5L Wranglers come with a 6 spd? Now I wanna put one in my jeep.
If it doesn't fit, you could always do an engine swap. Then you could go fuel injection with a 2.5L and not have to worry about adding all the sensors.

The 4.0L in the XJ/MJ had a Peugeot BA-10/5 from 1987 to about mid-1989, the AX-15 from mid-1989 to 2000, and the NV3550 in 2001. I would imagine that the YJ and TJ ran parallel to that. The ZJ had the AW4 in 1993, and then I think the 42RH 1994-up.

The AMC 150ci/2.46L four-cylinder usually had either the Aisin AX-4 (four-speed) or AX-5 (five-speed,) but I wouldn't trust either of those boxes behind the 242ci/4.0L six. The Borg (T5, I think) used in the earlier years - 1984-1986, I think - was also used behind various V8s, and should hold up.

It's also worth noting that the AX-15 had two different versions - the "internal" version (where the slave cylinder and throwout bearing were a common unit called a "concentric bearing" or a "concentric cylinder") and the "external" version (with a separate throwout bearing, a throwout fork, and an easily-removable slave cylinder.) The "external" version is the later of the two, and I think started to become available in 1995 or 1996. The "external" style AX-15 bellhousing is supposed to be a direct swap for the NV3550 as well (all of the NV gearboxes are "external" style.)

If you get your donor gearbox from a "Universal" (YJ or TJ,) expect to have to "massage" the transmission tunnel. The transfer case adapter housing "clocks" the transfer case so that it is rather higher - this may be what you end up wanting, but it would take a bit more work to install. Apart from that, they'll swap readily.

Back