• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAMER!!!!!!!!!!!

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Holy crap, I have blown up the phone trying to find a reamer or a machine shop in Savannah that will ream my nuckles and TRE for me. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to let me use their reamer? I will pay for the shipping to and from, of course... I am about to pull my hair out!

harbor freight, NAPA, Northern tools. All of them have had them in my area in the past. Plus My dad has a nice set in the basement. Check online.

finding the reamer online is not a problem. I would like to have it by this weekend. That is the issue. I dont really have an issue paying $50.00 for a tool that I would use once because I need it and may use it again sometime. I really dont want to pay $100+ for that part to be overnighted to me.

Nither Napa, Harbor Freight, nor any of the other automotive/tool stores has one or can get one. Sears carries the KD tools reamer but only online and would take 3 to 4 days just to get it in the mail. Snap-on has a reamer, but neither of the trucks that service Savannah have one on hand. It would be middle of next week before they could get one. Savannah has a lot of machine shops. Like 20 or 30, and none of them have the ability to ream the holes for me. I wish the companies that sell OTK steering set ups (really just a tierod and drag link, no kit to speak of) would sell a reamer as well. You have to have one to complete the OTK set up so selling the inventory would not be a problem.

:explosion

I've had to buy 3-4 of those reemers in the last couple years. After reeming 2-3 pitman arms, its usually toast and time to buy a new one.

Not a tool I would want to borrow. If you call JCR they can put it in the mail today though.

Got any buddies with race cars or have any local race car shops??

Swing by one of them, bet you a nickle they will have one

That is the one shop I didnt think of. We have a place called Southern Racing. I will call them in the morning. If that doesnt work I will call JCR. Thanks...

I'm pretty sure JCR drop ships theirs from Snap On, it may be faster (and cheaper) to just order one from Snap On. Call JCR first though, I may be wrong.

I ordered mine from Snap-On and got it in 2 days!

I believe JCR has the part # on their site. You can also get it from them and over-night or 2nd day it and have no problem...

Good Luck!

that's also a possibility find a snap on truck and they will sell it to you right there. I've bought a few things like that before

Sorry to sound dumb but why do you have to ream the knuckles? For larger balljoints or something. Sorry still learning

I will have to ream the knuckles and the TRE that the Drag link connects to because I am doing an over the knuckle flip of the tie rod and going with 1 ton TREs all the way around. The thread end of the TRE is 5/8". You have to enlarge (drill) the existing holes to 5/8" and then ream the knuckles from the top down so the larger diameter TREs will fit. The TRE that the drag link connects too will have to be done the same. I found that the D44 knuckles I have arent too far away from 5/8" to begin with, but the TRE is, or was... The guy that runs the shop I am working out of said,"I would just waller the holes out till they fit." Yeah, thanks for the advice now go play in traffic...

I know most machine shops have reamers. Well all the ones I used to work at.

OK... I will call every machine shop in 25 miles, that is listed, and see what I can find. I called 6 today and none of those could do it... Thanks for the help...

rcmf5525 said:
OK... I will call every machine shop in 25 miles, that is listed, and see what I can find. I called 6 today and none of those could do it... Thanks for the help...

all this whining you could have ordered the reamer and had it there tomorrow. many machine shops these days will not touch steering components due to liablilties. None in my area will.

Back