• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Aid Kit?

burkemotorcross

NAXJA Forum User
hi,

I couldnt post this in the off-topic forum so ill post it here. Im trying to put together a first aid kit to keep in my XJ for minor bumps and bruises that you might encounter. I currently have:

30 band-aids
5 4 by 4 gauze pads
5 2 by 2 gauze pads
3 burn relief gel packets
1 set of tweezers
15 isopropyl alcohol wipes
10 antiboitic ointments
5 ibuprofen packets 2 in each pack
3 cold medicine packets
1 pack of splinter removers

What else should i include in this kit?

i ALWAYS carry needle + thread for quick stitches and also somekind of rope for a quick turnaquit(spelling?) along with the basics. sounds like a pretty good kit though:peace:

Medical/duct/eletrical tape and some cotton rags. Whenever you start bleeding, getting compression on the wound to slow it down is one of the best things you can do, and if you can wrap it and tape it up you don't have to worry about getting everything bloody. You could throw in some super glue too. If you get a cut that's deep enough to need stitches, you can super glue it shut pretty effectively if you can get it to slow or stop bleeding. Not the best solution, but it does work in a pinch.

roll of shit paper....for the ladies, if you wheel with any........and you may need to lean against a tree too at some point......plus....you may need something for sunburn......a cream of some kind.......oh, and a snake bite kit, you can get one from Wal Fart for like 5 bucks, may just be a life saver.....

i tend to keep a "Maxi Pad" or 2 with me. they are great for stopping bleeding and soak up alot of blood if there ever was a cut that was severe

Don't forget some latex/vinyl gloves to protect yourself if you are working on someone else who's bleeding. You don't wanna get hepatitis or aids from being a good samaritan (they don't always know they have it so they may honestly think they are clean).

I second the stitches but if you don't know what you are doing with the needle and thread you may do more damage than good if you can get a person to a proper facility in due time. Putting sutures in someone who's not numbed up can really be unpleasant for both people.

Also don't forget a bottle of clean water, NOT YOUR DRINKING WATER YOU"VE HAD YOUR LIPS ON. This is to irrigate any wounds. A bottle of peroxide or iodine is even better.
Make sure your buddies and you are up to date on your Tetanus shots (every 10 years for adults but if you are over 5 years and had a serious laceration most docs will give you a booster shot).
I'm sure i'll chime in as more things pop in my head.

iodine tablets is also a good idea. You never know how long you may be stuck somewhere depending on how you wheel. You can live 3 weeks without food, but a mere 3 days without water. Iodine tablets are great for purifying whatever water sources you may stumble accrossed. Remember drinking un-purified water that may have parasites in it could possibly dehidrate you even quicker when you have the "super runs". I also second the turnaqit (however it's spelled), Also a good idea to have a good sharp knife in any survival kit. If your making a "survival kit" you may want to think about throwing in a signal mirror as well or any other signal device. I just like the mirror because it needs no power source, is good forever, and can be seen from very far distances.

Latex gloves 3 pair, a space blanket and a few Razor blades.

SAM splint, and something to tie it on with/ ties for bandages. Pretty useful for broken bones. It is flexible to be able to form what you are putting it on, and has other uses if you get creative. Light weight and they don't take up a lot of room.

Being a nurse, in addition to everything mentioned, I keep a stethescope, BP cuff, , ACE bandage, bandage scissors, instant ice pack, and a face shield if ever the need arose for CPR.

xj2win said:
Medical/duct/eletrical tape and some cotton rags. Whenever you start bleeding, getting compression on the wound to slow it down is one of the best things you can do, and if you can wrap it and tape it up you don't have to worry about getting everything bloody. You could throw in some super glue too. If you get a cut that's deep enough to need stitches, you can super glue it shut pretty effectively if you can get it to slow or stop bleeding. Not the best solution, but it does work in a pinch.

I gotta say, thats way to go. I have super glued a deep cut before, it did indeed work untill I got to a hospital 2 hours later when the doctor said its not good but it can be used in a pinch.

Imodium (loperamide) tabs or Pepto can save someone with the runs......

anyone used that little cubby hole for a first aid kit stash spot? i was thinking about velcro straps and some type of ring system riveted or screwed in?

i carry cat tourniquet these can be self applied http://www.rangerjoes.com/first-aidmedical-ripcord-tourniquet-p-3335.html , Israeli bandages and a Hem-con. hem con is a lil pricey and for arterial bleeding. i cant find a retail one mine is military but quick clot will work almost as good.
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FA213
im sure you could find Israeli bandages if u searched i highly recomend them. we used this stuff in iraq worked great.
may be a lil excessive but better safe then sorry

please read up on how to use tourniquet and quick clot before going out with it these can be awesome if you know what your doing dangerous if you dont.

cklaus said:
Don't forget some latex/vinyl gloves to protect yourself if you are working on someone else who's bleeding. You don't wanna get hepatitis or aids from being a good samaritan (they don't always know they have it so they may honestly think they are clean).

I agree 100%. I had a MSgt that caught HepC from pulling a lady out of a buring car. He was on the donor list for a liver, when I saw him last.

They make a CPR oral shield, it's a piece of latex(?) with a hole in the middle that protects you from catching something you can't wash off in the shower. I also agree with having super glue on hand. Not an ideal solution, but it'll work in a pinch. Pun intended.

Back