• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 with newer motor?

maybe2fast

NAXJA Forum User
used search already.

my question is:

can I use anything newer (4.0) in my 96 OBD2 Jeep.

Like if I found a 01 4.0 can I just install the long block and use all my old pieces? If its an 01 I would use the intake though:guitar:

I can tell you that an 01 has a different head casting because it runs a coil on ignition rather than a distributor Im pretty sure the block is the same. You would need to use all the old style 96 injectors and sensors because the plugs are not the same either.
Do you have a rod knock or is it piston slap?

sure sounds like a rod...it is most heard at idle and around 1000rpm. some times its there other times it is more tame. Oil pressure high and steady. It sounds like a knock but doesn't get worse when reved and I just started hearing it over the usually sewing machine sound. IDK whats wrong...I just fixed the manifold and now engine noise.

oil change did nothing for the noise 10-30 Mobil 1 with a quart of Lucas synthetic stabilizer

I use that Engin Restor in mine and it helped a lot on the noise, I have 206K. With out it, when cold it sounds like a diesel VW rabbit.

I'm running a 99 engine in my 96XJ. Had to find a new home for the temperature sending unit located at the back of the head. 00 and 01 4.0s have a different head design and might have head crack issues, but will work.

Back