• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hardwring new stereo

Kiefer316

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone help me im installing a new sony deck into my junk that i got for my birthday. the wire harness was cut out. its an 89 xj pioneer...any help?

Get a multimeter. Find constant, switched and ground first. Get them hooked up... make sure the radio powers on with the key like it should
Then ohm out the speaker wires one at time and hook em up.

You'll be hooking up 11 wires and the ant. It's not hard.

Solder or crimp the wires well and use heat shrink tube. Twisting them and wrapping with electrical tape is ghetto and people that do that should be slapped.

I use a 9 volt battery to test each speaker so I know where it's at.

The blue wire/s is/are a remote turn on and unless you have an amplifier it won't be used.

Last edited:
After you find those powers and ground and are using the 9v to locate a speaker, take the grill/door/tailgate panels off and watch the speaker move. If it pops out, then the wire touching the positive on the battery is the positive speaker wire. If speaker pops/moves in, then you have the polarity switched. I don't know if the wire colors behind the head unit are the same as behind the speakers, but you could check that as well.

Back